MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Update issues 1.8.15 to .17
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2018-08-18, 03:08 PM)KlausT Wrote: [ -> ]Instead of doing this in threads why can't we have a how to
step by step

We do documentation. I agree those are not completely organized but the team is listening to the community and initiated improvement.
If team members keep writing "How to upgrade MyBB for dummies" then I doubt there might be no update release in days. Informations are available along with active support. Users also required to avoid raising concerns and frustrations every single time demoralizing devs. Let developers develop more, story write less. As you have expectations from MyBB, MyBB also expects minimum skills and knowledges to see someone as a webmaster, not a statement like: "I don't know how to".

(2018-08-18, 03:08 PM)KlausT Wrote: [ -> ]I am about to start updating again to the latest build, but the php programmer already lost over 3 hours
now I will be joining him for the implementation.

Wait, which PHP programmer? Its not a requirement to be a PHP programmer to upgrade MyBB. And being a PHP programmer if he lost 3 hours trying to just 'upgrade' but without any output then ... my usergroup is restricting me to make the statement I really want to.

Best of luck.
Effone,

it's wrong if you think a critique is to bring anyone down, from devs to community staff.

But maybe you are right this is a BB where a full stack Admin is needed
where docs will be done in 5 places for those, and since it's free, deal with it.

I am sorry I have said what I think. I feel I've losta chance to stfu

I will continue with your BB while it remains possible,
but I have to pay for each time I ask for help
when the outcome is that you end up paying to fix your fixes.
Maybe that should make you think how it demoralizes USERS
unless you do it for yourselves and a few buddies

Thank you to all that do the work in the community for free
Signing out and sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings.

On your remark on restricting yourself from making a statement,
have no worries I already saw a bunch here that i would call arrogant to say the least.

I am glad you listen to users the way you do! Good for you!

Be sure, you won't EVER read a line from me again
not to hurt anyone when your updates fracks up my board

In fact I do have another comment

You lost who could work with you doing that 'documentation' you refered to

Auf Wiedersehen
No, I am sorry if I hurt your feelings in any way. We are trying to improve in every manner wrt release and documentation, but I am tired of seeing this kind of blame rather than constructive criticism and suggestions.

You don't need to pay for support if you are with MyBB. Ask support anytime you wish. Our support team members often take a step further to go to user's website to resolve issues (unofficially) whenever required and possible.
Just thought I would chip in as an end user of MyBB for 7 years without much understanding of how the program works.

I can understand the frustration that KlausT is experiencing. I dread updates to the software as they always break something and I can see a pattern from 1.8.15 that happened towards the end of 1.6 it's all rushed through at the last minute and the update causes more thing to go wrong than it fixes.  I have seen the team are now issuing "Pre Releases" that is one of the best things to ever happen.

I learnt a long time ago that Softaculous is great for installing and uninstalling MyBB but it is not a good idea to use it to do updates. That is a big shame as a lot of end users would prefer to use Softaculous, it's a simple one click process which people like KlausT and myself would much prefer to use.

There are a lot of people at MyBB willing to help out if you do get a problem, but sometimes it's a bit overwhelming when you get spoken to like you should know what you are doing. I can fix my own car and don't rely on a garage, but some people need a garage to fix their car. When an end user installs MyBB He/She wants to just get on running the forum, they don't want to waste their time fiddling around with the dreaded update on FileZilla and end up trying to fix things that it made go wrong.

I stopped updating 1.6 and have now stopped updating 1.8 as it just causes to many problems.

We are not all able to understand the inner workings and it would be so nice to just click a button and let the update do it's thing a bit like my Ubuntu has just done. It did give me a couple of little niggles, but it didn't break things that I had set up and it was a simple process.

Maybe it's something the people working on MyBB could think of for the future. A simple one click update that won't break all our changes ?

Sorry you feel the need to leave KlausT. MyBB is a good operating system for a forum and the team do work hard in their own time, but I just wanted to say as an end user I understand what you are saying.
To say the updates "always" break something is a little over exaggerating. Also just to clear this one-click perception that Softaculous has, when (or if) Softaculous updates your forum's version of MyBB, the exact same changes have to be applied to your templates, css and so forth. Softaculous doesn't do that for you. The upgrade process isn't an AI, if the upgrade process was to be a "one click process" it would alter your custom themes, more than likely causing them to break more than they may do at the moment.

Your comparison to taking a car to the garage is somewhat wrong. As a car owner you should be able to pump up your tyres, or change your oil, or change your water, but you're not expected to upgrade your engine or fix parts of your car by yourself. There's a garage for that. Someone you pay to do that. At MyBB you should be able to change bits of your theme, change bits of your configuration, change your board URL. Even if you can't, there's free support. You're not expected to be able to code new features or fix MyBB's default features by yourself, there's a MyBB Team for that. Someone who most of the time does it for free, but sometimes you have to pay. That's a better comparison.

Again, we urge users to ask for support and even ask questions before upgrading - "Will we need to change any crucial templates?", "Is a feature being dropped?" etc.
(2018-08-17, 01:18 PM)KlausT Wrote: [ -> ]... and worse, I started receiving emails from 'No Sender'

Were you able to solve this? If so, how?
(2018-08-19, 01:59 PM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]To say the updates "always" break something is a little over exaggerating.

As a car owner you should be able to pump up your tyres, or change your oil, or change your water,.

You are missing the point. I doubt there are many people out there that know how to change the oil or water in their car and I also know of some people who go to the garage to check there tyres. Maybe in your and my eyes they should be able to do those things, but they don't or can't.

Every update I have ever done has always broken something. Changes I have made to templates etc, or what about recently when Video's stopped working and people had to apply a patch or wait for the next update which then broke something else?

Anyway like I said, I'm just and end user and the easier it is the better. It's frustrating to do an update and then have to do more work.

But I'll leave it there as this is not my thread and there is no point in me arguing with you about it.

Have a good day.
Actually, this is taught to you in your theory test prior to getting your License, so yes car users should know how to do that. Whether they want to do it or not is a different argument. It's the same with upgrades. Some may not want to do it because it requires a little work. Lets leave that there.

Please do open a support thread if you ever need help updating your version of MyBB.
(2018-08-19, 02:20 PM)sarisisop Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-19, 01:59 PM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]To say the updates "always" break something is a little over exaggerating.

As a car owner you should be able to pump up your tyres, or change your oil, or change your water,.

You are missing the point. I doubt there are many people out there that know how to change the oil or water in their car and I also know of some people who go to the garage to check there tyres. Maybe in your and my eyes they should be able to do those things, but they don't or can't.

Every update I have ever done has always broken something. Changes I have made to templates etc, or what about recently when Video's stopped working and people had to apply a patch or wait for the next update which then broke something else?

Anyway like I said, I'm just and end user and the easier it is the better. It's frustrating to do an update and then have to do more work.

But I'll leave it there as this is not my thread and there is no point in me arguing with you about it.

Have a good day.

Please check this THREAD.

These are the kinds of issues that I hope to alleviate by assisting the MyBB development team in making documentation easier to understand.

However, keep in mind... there are so many variables throughout the world, that a documentation can't possibly cover it all. 
I mean things like, different IPS rules, different hosting rules, country censorship, language barriers, and academic background. 
It's impossible for any documentation to cover every single "out-of-the-ordinary" circumstance.
On a side note, given MyBB's medium-sized support community on the Forums and the Discord server, odds are that many MyBB contributors and Team members will take a glimpse at reported issues  and in many cases they will be able to guide administrators through common problems and issues - the current documentation is lacking but experienced users often stick around.

Some requests might be left unanswered for longer due to lack of time or complexity (e.g. requiring many code modifications that might be difficult to explain), but they still help confirm that the problem is not site-specific and allow developers to keep track of which modules are generally problematic.
Pages: 1 2