MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: ScrollOn 0.0.4 ALPHA (infinite scroll)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: 2hXhvNR.png]
ScrollOn 0.0.4a
for MyBB 1.8.x

by
Wildcard

DownloadGitHub

Follow WildcardSearch On Twitter for Faster Updates:
[Image: q1W0aFv.png]

a plugin for MyBB forums that adds infinite scrolling to the thread view

Example:
https://i.imgur.com/Htrm0wW.mp4

Features:
  • Automatically load new posts when users scroll to the bottom of the page or prompt user's to load new posts, your choice
  • Optionally continue to look for new posts (on a configurable timer) when user's are at the end of the thread
  • Control which forums can and cannot use ScrollOn

This is an ALPHA version that is not yet ready for live forums.

Dependencies:

none

Resources:

Support

I make no guarantees of support but I will always try. If you need support for this plugin please create a support thread at MyBB forums.

Bugs/Issues

Please report any problems found at the GitHub repository for this project, in this thread or in a new thread on MyBB Community Forums. Although I will answer questions at my own forum, I prefer not to.

Improve ScrollOn!

I have started a GitHub repository for this plugin. Ideas and bug reports are welcome there and anyone wanting to collaborate is more than welcome Smile

https://github.com/WildcardSearch/ScrollOn
reserved
I am nearing BETA release and would like feedback if anyone is interested.

ScrollOn adds infinite scroll to MyBB forum threads and allows the admin to control which threads and forums it can be used on.

For testing purposes, this is expected function as of now:

Pagination is removed aesthetically (the links are gone) but existing page links still work as expected.

With settings for auto OFF and live OFF:
  • Enter thread at any page and encounter Show More Posts link above and/or below if applicable.
  • When clicked, it loads a page (ppp from default/user settings/plugin setting in that order) of posts.
  • When end of thread is reached, it shows no new posts and is done.
With settings for auto ON and live OFF:
  • Enter thread at any page and encounter Show More Posts text (no link) above and/or below if applicable.
  • When the div is in view, it loads a page (ppp from default/user settings/plugin setting in that order) of posts.
  • When end of thread is reached, it shows no new posts and is done.
With settings for live ON:
  • When end of thread is reached, it shows no new posts and a timer is started to check for posts every x seconds. New post will be inserted into the page.
Please let me know if there are issues/bugs and what your opinion is on:
  • the usefulness of the idea in general
  • the current state of how everything functions (or is intended to function)
  • and the way the plugin snaps to posts after loading
Thank you!
Choices are nice but I always wonder if this will take up more resources if thread/forum have alot of pages?
In the big picture, to load all the posts for the next page versus loading the entire next page means saving the loading of the header/footer/etc. so it actually saves on processing.

Think about it, when the user clicks the next page link, they are loading the page the same as a person who scrolls to the end of the thread.

Now when you are talking about the live mode, then yes, that will add an extra query every x seconds, but that too is admin controllable.

Edit: Also, and someone who knows more can correct me, I think that this will make it appear that users are staying on the same page for longer, which, I think would be good for Google.
(2018-08-26, 10:51 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: Also, and someone who knows more can correct me, I think that this will make it appear that users are staying on the same page for longer, which, I think would be good for Google.

Not that I know more than you, but I can confirm that the longer a user stays on a page, the better it is for Google indexing. 

In fact, I had to make a minor correction for my website to solve the issue of why Google wasn't indexing my website. 

I fixed the minor issue and now Google is indexing the pages like it should have been doing.

It's those *minor* things that drive us Admins crazy!  Confused

On a side note:

I am trying to get a visual picture of what this plugin does and how it looks like.

Do you have a demo where I can view it in action?
I'll work on getting a demo site up if I have time, but this is infinite scroll. It just means that if there are more pages of threads, when you reach the end of the page more posts load automatically.

Take a look here. If you watch closely, you will see the posts loading message appear and the posts are inserted as you scroll.

(2018-08-26, 11:31 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]I'll work on getting a demo site up if I have time, but this is infinite scroll. It just means that if there are more pages of threads, when you reach the end of the page more posts load automatically.

Take a look here. If you watch closely, you will see the posts loading message appear and the posts are inserted as you scroll.

That makes sense.

However, I thought of something...

A forum has 20 pages of postings...

Let's say that a user remembers a post that was on page 14, but if you install this plugin, then how would the user be able to find the post on page 14 if this is an infinite scroll?

Is there a page counter on the side (near the scroll bar) that gives the user an indication of what page it is during the scrolling?
(2018-08-26, 10:51 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]In the big picture, to load all the posts for the next page versus loading the entire next page means saving the loading of the header/footer/etc. so it actually saves on processing.

Think about it, when the user clicks the next page link, they are loading the page the same as a person who scrolls to the end of the thread.

Now when you are talking about the live mode, then yes, that will add an extra query every x seconds, but that too is admin controllable.

Edit: Also, and someone who knows more can correct me, I think that this will make it appear that users are staying on the same page for longer, which, I think would be good for Google.

do you mean server's resource or user's resource?
i meant to say user's resource
i remember when i was browsing some website with infinite scroll on my cellphone the performance became slower when i scroll further down
(2018-08-27, 12:56 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]Let's say that a user remembers a post that was on page 14, but if you install this plugin, then how would the user be able to find the post on page 14 if this is an infinite scroll?

Is there a page counter on the side (near the scroll bar) that gives the user an indication of what page it is during the scrolling?

Not currently, but Eldenroot and others are requesting some sort of floating navigation bar that will help to solve the issue you mention.

Keep watching this thread (and giving suggestions)!

(2018-08-27, 08:23 AM)8guawong Wrote: [ -> ]do you mean server's resource or user's resource?
i meant to say user's resource
i remember when i was browsing some website with infinite scroll on my cellphone the performance became slower when i scroll further down

I definitely meant server resources.

On the client side, I have never considered that loading a lot of posts could slow the browser down...honestly, it really shouldn't unless there were a bunch of scripts running or videos being loaded...
Pages: 1 2