MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I want to upgrade the server to run MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I want to upgrade the server to run MyBB
I currently have the need to set up my own dedicated server, it has everything you need to run MyBBoard. I was thinking of packages to give storage, probally for a free account (3-4months long) and this is enough for you to have a decent size MyBBoard then iu like my store After 3-4 months or your website expands to a larger upgrade package.

Please leave feedback on what you think about this
Thanks everyone
(2018-08-25, 05:04 PM)tuoidv Wrote: [ -> ]I want to upgrade the server to run MyBB
I currently have the need to set up my own dedicated server, it has everything you need to run MyBBoard. I was thinking of packages to give storage, probally for a free account (3-4months long) and this is enough for you to have a decent size MyBBoard then iu like my store After 3-4 months or your website expands to a larger upgrade package.

Please leave feedback on what you think about this
Thanks everyone

You can do that. 

CreateMyBB.com does provide this service. This is an example.

So, if you want to provide this kind of service, you must be prepared to give out top service, customer support, fast hosting, and put up with a lot of complaints.

Be prepared to add more servers, which means more money. Do you have the money to do this?

Do you have super high-speed internet connections? I'm talking about 1 Gbps or faster. 

If you think you can handle this, then, go for it.
Free hosting is never a good idea. Not unless you have a great vision and enough resources. In the beginning, it looks nice. But monetizing from people who look for free stuff is never easy.
(2018-08-25, 07:29 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have super high-speed internet connections? I'm talking about 1 Gbps or faster. 

You don't need gigabit to run a server... you could get away with a cheaper 100mbit uplink, at least in the short-term, and upgrade later.
(2018-08-26, 07:19 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-25, 07:29 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have super high-speed internet connections? I'm talking about 1 Gbps or faster. 

You don't need gigabit to run a server... you could get away with a cheaper 100mbit uplink, at least in the short-term, and upgrade later.

My concern is...

Does he/she have access to that kind of high-speed connectivity?

If there are no ISPs that are available for that kind of service, then it kind of renders the whole idea moot.
(2018-08-26, 07:07 AM)meetdilip Wrote: [ -> ]Free hosting is never a good idea. Not unless you have a great vision and enough resources. In the beginning, it looks nice. But monetizing from people who look for free stuff is never easy.
I agree on this.
@OP: I will suggest you to go with a unmanaged VPS, it will be cheaper if you have knowledge on setting up VPS and maintaining it. However it will obviously be better to go with managed VPS if you don't have knowledge in this topic but price will be high for managed VPS.

I don't think in most of the cases you dont need dedi unless you have super high traffic which usually isn't the case for smaller forums.
Hea
(2018-08-26, 10:56 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]

My concern is...

If there are no ISPs that are available for that kind of service, then it kind of renders the whole idea moot.

Heard of colocation?
I do colocation I own and built my servers. I still have a forum hosting service from 2005 that is still online.
(2018-08-26, 09:40 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Hea
(2018-08-26, 10:56 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]

My concern is...

Heard of colocation?

Yes, I have, but has the original poster heard of it?
What on earth are you going on about Serpius.

Just because someone is setting up a dedicated server doesn't mean they're doing it out of their basement.
Also, if you're providing a service for free, then why on earth would you give a shred of support for it, unless you're being kind, maybe for a paid tier, you might. If they're not paying you, then they're not customers.

They have no recourse even if you were to pull the plug randomly one day. That's just how it is and it's your money not theirs. If they want stability, then they pay $1/month+ on a real host.

As for a proper dedicated server, you're probably looking upwards of $50/month, if you're renting someone else's server and around $100/month minimum for colocation (if I recall). Gigabit uplinks are fairly standard for dedicated servers, heck I have a gigabit uplink on a $3/month VPS.
Pages: 1 2