MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Merge phpBB 3.2 to Latest MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've read all the information, and to be honest its a bit out of my league. I could really use some assistance with this entire process. 

Site Link: flawlessfic.com
Current Software: phpBB 3.2.2
Software wanted: MyBB 1.8.18
Host Service: Hostinger 
Site Database: Provided upon request. 
Access: Provided upon request to those who are willing to help or do the merge for me via my Hostinger service panel. 

I want to convert to MyBB because there is this daily, heck even hourly bug that continuously shows up on my site and its not just my site its other sites as well who are hosting the software. I have yet to read about bug using MyBB 1.8.18 or MyBB in general perhaps one or two but they haven't be consistent in their return to admin sites. 

I would like to keep all of my content [forums, subforums, topic/threads, pm, USERS]. I truly want a flawless transition if anyone can help with this or make the merge link into [new coder terms perhaps some visuals] that would be amazing. I truly need all the help I can get so that my community doesn't suffer or have to go through the bugs when I'm not around. 

As of right now, my site has ...
Total Post: 669
Total Topics: 85
Total Members: 92
Which bit of the Merge Doc are you finding difficult, exactly? I'm more than happy to help you through it and make the doc clearer but I'm not going to do it for you.
Pretty much where all of this should take place. 

As I mentioned I'm using Hostinger so my file setup may look different than someone who hosts their site on their own.

My file Area: 

[Image: OCklH2f.png]

My Dashboard: 
[Image: qeCYGJm.png]
At the top of the Merge Doc it specifies the requirement of being able to merge.

Quote:You must already have a copy of MyBB 1.8 installed in order to run the MyBB Merge System.

See here about installing MyBB.
(2018-08-25, 10:30 PM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]At the top of the Merge Doc it specifies the requirement of being able to merge.

Quote:You must already have a copy of MyBB 1.8 installed in order to run the MyBB Merge System.

See here about installing MyBB.

Sorry for the late reply I had to update my computer. I don't think I said it the first time but thank you for responding and being a big help.

So far what I've gotten is the following:

Mybb installed
Merge File installed in the Mybb file

The next step says

Quote:Uploading the Files
With the files extracted from the MyBB package, upload the ‘merge’ directory from the package to your existing installation of MyBB’s folder. You must keep the files inside the ‘merge’ directory.

Things to keep in mind:

Make sure that the directory structure is kept. (ie. the files in the admin directory should be uploaded to a directory called admin, the files in the archive directory should be uploaded to a directory called archive, etc)
Make sure that you upload the .php, .html, .css and any other text file in ASCII mode, and that you upload the .gif, .jpg, .png, and any other binary file in Binary mode (see your FTP software documentation)
“Dry Run” Testing
Backup your MyBB database now, before you do anything else. Then run the merge system once as a “dry run” to make sure everything works. If it doesn’t, restore the MyBB backup and report the errors on the MyBB forums.

So my next question is ... after mybb is backed up where would I go to do the 'dry run' ... is there suppose to be a button I should be seeing in order to run it? I've included all images of the two steps I did so far ... I feel like I'm missing something especially since I haven't actually pulled anything from my current site that's running phpbb 3.2.2 ...

[Image: Screen_Shot_2018-08-25_at_4.22.36_PM.png]
[Image: Screen_Shot_2018-08-25_at_4.22.42_PM.png]
Great, so now you have your MyBB forum installed. I can also see you have the Merge folder within your MyBB directory - good work. A "dry run" essentially means take a backup of your MyBB forum (yes, even though it's a fresh install) and running the Merge system. As long as you take the backup, you should be good to move on and do the actual merging.

The next thing to do is Pre-Run Board Configuration, which is basically locking both of your forums. Proceed to now running the Merge System. Let me know if there's an issues along the way.
(2018-08-25, 11:57 PM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]Great, so now you have your MyBB forum installed. I can also see you have the Merge folder within your MyBB directory - good work. A "dry run" essentially means take a backup of your MyBB forum (yes, even though it's a fresh install) and running the Merge system. As long as you take the backup, you should be good to move on and do the actual merging.

The next thing to do is Pre-Run Board Configuration, which is basically locking both of your forums. Proceed to now running the Merge System. Let me know if there's an issues along the way.

[Image: Screen_Shot_2018-08-25_at_5.35.11_PM.png]

The instructions say to type in the following url

Quote:http://www.yourforum.com/forums/merge/

Am i suppose to plug in the new MyBB site url or my current phpbb3 site that im converting to to MyBB? My current url with phbb3 is in the image above and that's the error I'm getting.

http://flawlessfic.com/merge/

or
http://flawlessfic.com/mybb/merge/

UPDATE: I think I figured out the above!
You are running the Merge for your MyBB forum. So http://flawlessfic.com/mybb/merge/ would be correct.
(2018-08-26, 01:00 AM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]You are running the Merge for your MyBB forum. So http://flawlessfic.com/mybb/merge/ would be correct.

If her site is already secured (HTTPS), shouldn't that be https://flawlessfic.com/mybb/merge??

Correct me if I'm wrong.
[Image: Screen_Shot_2018-08-25_at_6.31.17_PM.png]

Speaking with the support team of my host and they've given me all the info to input and it still doesn't work.
Pages: 1 2