MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: A glitch in the matrix (appearing as a different user)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is really strange - new forum just went live, and I'm seeing that my Admin account sometimes momentarily shows as a random online member?

Reload and it goes back to normal

It hasn't been reported on my forum by another member yet, so may just be Admin accounts

Is issue known, or is it something I have done wrong?

Edit; just seen on a normal account
there is a problem with the cache system & the cookies of your web server.
it would be better to contact your web host for fixing it.
(2018-08-27, 10:04 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]there is a problem with the cache system & the cookies of your web server.

Thanks for the reply
  • Could it be Cloudflare?  I've purged the Cache, and yet to see the issue reoccur, but as it is intermittent it is hard to tell
Any further issues I will contact the host

Edit - Still seen the issue

(2018-08-27, 10:18 AM)NotAdmin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-27, 10:04 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]there is a problem with the cache system & the cookies of your web server.

Thanks for the reply
  • Could it be Cloudflare?  I've purged the Cache, and yet to see the issue reoccur, but as it is intermittent it is hard to tell
Any further issues I will contact the host

Edit - Still seen the issue

Hi guys

I contacted the host who have disabled the cache their end asked me to disable it my end (have done so via "Send No Cache Headers")

I have yet to see the issue reoccur - does the above sound right?

Conversation with Host -

Quote:02:20 PM | F****: Hi - I have a forum hosted with you; we went live today (-). I have an issue where members are momentarily appearing as a different member; when I asked the guys who made the forum software (mybb), they noted the following : "there is a problem with the cache system & the cookies of your web server. it would be better to contact your web host for fixing it.) - I've purged the Cache on both your site and cloudflare; any issues you are aware of that would account for the above?

02:23 PM | G**** from Hostinger: Hello! Where may I see the issue please?

02:26 PM | F***: The domain is (-) - the issue is sporadic; a member becomes a different member for a split second; refreshing the page goes back to normal. As noted, MyBB think it is a problem with the cache system & the cookies of your web server?

02:31 PM | G**** from Hostinger: I see that cache is disabled on our side.  Is there any possibility to disable it on mybb side?

02:34 PM | F****: Yep - "Send No Cache Headers" does that job - do you think it will fix the issue?

02:40 PM | R**** from Hostinger: Hey As I understand it has started resolving now right?

02:43 PM | F****: I have yet to see it reoccur (touch wood!) - it is a sporadic issue though. I will keep an eye out for the problem, and ask my members to do the same. Thank you!

02:45 PM | R**** from Hostinger: Knock on wood It should only be related to the cache and hopefully you won't have to bother with it anymore:00)
"Send No Cache Headers" setting can be a possible fix.
however cache at the server can be the main thing for such issues.
(2018-08-27, 12:11 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]"Send No Cache Headers" setting can be a possible fix.
however cache at the server can be the main thing for such issues.

Thanks - how will disabling "Send No Cache Headers" affect the function of my Forum?

I may trial (re)enabling it, but want to wait a bit to see if the issue has definitely gone (no sign of it at the moment)
If i am not mistaken, then Send No Cache Headers instructs the browser not to cache resources, which means every time you or your visitors browse they will have to download the same static resources like images, javascript files and CSS etc. Not very efficient.
(2018-08-27, 12:54 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]If i am not mistaken, then Send No Cache Headers instructs the browser not to cache resources, which means every time you or your visitors browse they will have to download the same static resources like images, javascript files and CSS etc. Not very efficient.

What about cloudflare?  AIUI, does this not perform this same task?
I don't know, all i know is I would not want to run my site with that setting left on - the Send No Cache Headers one.
OK - I will leave for 24hrs to make sure the issue doesn't reoccur and will switch Send No Cache Headers tomorrow to see if the issue remains fixed