MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Additional group permission
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there!

I've been doing some changes in groups permissions on my forum and wanted to allow html usage to administrators and moderators.
There's only one little problem. I couldn't find any option allowing people to choose if specific group can use html.
Right now we can select if in specific forum we can use HTML, but it will alow all groups to do so. I couldn't find any permission in group settings to disallow some of them to use HTML.

But this can provide some other problems. Like post has been written by someone with group able to use HTML, but later this person has been moved to another group and can no longer use HTML. Then it would be nice to actually still allow html in post even if this person's group cannot use it - this will prevent ruining whole post just because that thing.

What do you think about that? It would allow better control of who can actually use HTML.
I think this is better suited as plugin, just my view on this.
(2018-08-31, 05:57 PM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]I think this is better suited as plugin, just my view on this.

This. Haven't looked into it, but depending on where the hooks are you could probably grab the usergroup of the active user and then overwrite the parser/forum option to disallow HTML.
Workaround if it's not "all of HTML" that you need but rather a few things: use yourcode (Plugin) to define codes you need and regulate usergroup permissions as to who may use which of use these codes there from within that plugin's settings.
Well I think that it's weird that with all that html beeing unsafe etc. we can still allow EVERYONE to use it if we allow HTML in specific forum. Considering all things it would make more sense to also add one more thing to limit usage of HTML for people that should not have access to it.

Also, yes I can use or create plugin to do something like that, but I consider it as one of security things to actually disallow some groups from using HTML when it is enabled in forums. And "workaround" with adding new bbcodes (doesn't matter if it is MyCode or other plugin) isn't actually an option here, just because sometimes html elements use additional values like data or other things that need to be on markup - using bbcode to do this will require really crazy looking regex or something like that.
(2018-08-31, 05:01 PM)MinusPL Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there!

I've been doing some changes in groups permissions on my forum and wanted to allow html usage to administrators and moderators.
There's only one little problem. I couldn't find any option allowing people to choose if specific group can use html.
Right now we can select if in specific forum we can use HTML, but it will alow all groups to do so. I couldn't find any permission in group settings to disallow some of them to use HTML.

But this can provide some other problems. Like post has been written by someone with group able to use HTML, but later this person has been moved to another group and can no longer use HTML. Then it would be nice to actually still allow html in post even if this person's group cannot use it - this will prevent ruining whole post just because that thing.

What do you think about that? It would allow better control of who can actually use HTML.

There is a plugin available to do just this.

Go HERE.
Yeah I know that there are plugins for this thing. Also thanks for link. I will use it most likely to prevent everyone using HTML on my forum.

Still personally I think that something like that should be added to MyBB, not as plugin, but as an integral function of whole MyBB.
I agree that setting the ability to use HTML (particularly arbitrary HTML) on an entire forum is asininely stupid and that group permissions would be a better approach.