MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can't get my templates in a row
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
thanks, i'll get to closing those.

i want to have the margin at the top of the wrapper--as it is here: https://doremi.jcink.net/ (the #wrapper element contains the background image, which actually does contain a separate element i've just realized with an 80% height that i will add once the next issue is addressed...)

i've discovered what i think is a pretty major contributor to the problem: i don't know how to change global.css. i am certain i am missing something. i don't know how one is supposed to make substantial changes to a theme without resetting the cache every single time, and that just seems... like something that i am totally doing wrong. how can i simply draw the css file from the base file, if my site isn't completed and needs heavy work 24/7? the cache doesn't reset every time i save global.css, so it's impossible to have any changes to the file show up. what have i done/how can i fix that?
you only have to press CTRL+F5 to hard refresh after making changes - nothing else.

Check your htaccess at the root for caching issues. You can also see this thread:

https://community.mybb.com/thread-219044.html
ok, finally got all that sorted out. thank you.

instead of making another thread--i'm trying to install a custom template for my sidebar, but can't find a guide for doing that outside of linux/a responsive system that allows me to input commands... i have put this: 

eval("\$sidebar = \"".$templates->get("sidebar")."\";");

in global.php, forumdisplay.php, and several index.php files, but nothing seems to work. the template doesn't show up when i try to put it into the forumdisplay template. am i missing a code, or using the wrong file? also, if there's a guide for basic stuff like this (the mybb documentation doesn't seem to include info for doing this through a managed server...? but i may be wrong there too, i'm learning as i go) i would be super down for that, i feel bad always coming to the forums.
Try to use existing plugins and forum tutorials if you are a beginner, there is a huge amount of resources available for that purpose. Creating plugins is not easy. Here is some links but there are many others, you just have to search.

https://community.mybb.com/thread-123172.html
https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/development/pl...templates/
Unsure why you're using that code for a sidebar, but if you a have a custom PHP page then your eval code should be in that page. In the given example, you should place the variable $sidebar in the template where you want the sidebar template to be used. For example, if you want the template sidebar to be used on the index page, you'd paste $sidebar in your index template.

This thread might explain it clearer than I have.
i'm trying to use a different, less messy method than i usually do with sidebars (usually i float one or more of the columns and then mess with margins and stuff for hours), but it requires me to place the thing after the content wrapper is closed off so that they can act as columns together w/o having to put the sidebar on the left and disrupt the reading order. i could put it in the footer, but i'd really prefer not to just for cleanliness and control's stake, since a lot of info will be stored there and updated frequently.

i just want to add a new custom html template so i can organize more easily and see where it best fits--the mybb documentation recommends users make their own templates for substantial amounts of code, & i'd like to know anyway for future reference--but i've read one couldn't do that without adding a new line in the php code. and... the mybb documentation seems to require the use of an apache or other server console, which i don't have--i only have access to my cpanel with shared hosting.

thanks for the help guys, sorry for all the confusion i'm sure i'm putting out. this is far from my first time doing code like i'm doing, but it's my second time using a premade organization system (and not 3-or-so monstrous code files) as well as my first time working with a host in years. i appreciate you sticking with me, lol.
Im still unsure why you’re going through all of this to add a sidebar. It’s very simple. Have you seen this?
Pages: 1 2