MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: memcached benefits?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can I expect any real benefits in installing memcached? Usually I have 150-250 active users (15 minute period). I'm on a VPS (may switch to a dedi soon) with way too much free RAM, and CPU load 2 < 4 (6-core), my main problem is disk IO.
(2018-09-11, 11:41 PM)patrick Wrote: [ -> ]Can I expect any real benefits in installing memcached? Usually I have 150-250 active users (15 minute period). I'm on a VPS (may switch to a dedi soon) with way too much free RAM, and CPU load 2 < 4 (6-core), my main problem is disk IO.

Can you downgrade the VPS plan? If not, then, go for the shared hosting plan.

I do not feel that getting a dedicated hosting plan is your best option.

For starters... it's very, very expensive cost per month. Unless your website is generating a lot of money per month, it's best to go with a high tier shared hosting plan.

The hosting company that I am with now offers a high-end hosting plan for $9.95/month. That looks a lot more reasonable for your situation.

Just my 2 cents.
(2018-09-11, 11:41 PM)patrick Wrote: [ -> ]Can I expect any real benefits in installing memcached?

Depends on what you're trying to achieve. The issue with caching is, as implied by the name, it caches copies of pages. That means the content won't update immediately.
Hi,

how much is your I/O wait percentage?
IO "busy" is often 100%. I didn't check IO wait, and at in the morning it's always low (6% IO Wait).

Can someone confirm that MyBB doesn't update the cache when the page has been modified?