MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Corrupting Exported Themes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone!

I have been receiving error messages on exported themes I am trying to re-import saying that the file is corrupted or cannot be found. I have tried this with multiple themes (including the default myBB theme) and have received the same message upon import.

In order to test to see if it was the way my computer was saving the exported documents, I tried importing themes saved from other websites. they seem to work properly. It is just themes that I export that refuse to work.

Because it seems like it is the way my computer is saving files, I checked the XML documents from the corrupted themes and they look much different from the ones that will install properly on my forum. Is there any way that I can fix this problem? I would like to be able to duplicate a couple themes for testing without it having a parent theme.

I don't know if this makes any difference but I am running myBB 1.8.17 (my host has not had a chance to update the system yet).

Thank you!
(2018-09-12, 10:53 PM)Hoofbeats Wrote: [ -> ]Hello everyone!

I have been receiving error messages on exported themes I am trying to re-import saying that the file is corrupted or cannot be found. I have tried this with multiple themes (including the default myBB theme) and have received the same message upon import.

In order to test to see if it was the way my computer was saving the exported documents, I tried importing themes saved from other websites. they seem to work properly. It is just themes that I export that refuse to work.

Because it seems like it is the way my computer is saving files, I checked the XML documents from the corrupted themes and they look much different from the ones that will install properly on my forum. Is there any way that I can fix this problem? I would like to be able to duplicate a couple themes for testing without it having a parent theme.

I don't know if this makes any difference but I am running myBB 1.8.17 (my host has not had a chance to update the system yet).

Thank you!

Not sure if this is related to your issue but, over the years on various versions of mybb I have sometimes run into a similar problem on various localhost setups where the export xml is corrupted. What I found was that the closing tag on the xml file was incomplete..., editing the xml closing tag to be complete tended to fix said problem as far as making the xml file importable. Not sure if that is what you are experiencing or not.
(2018-09-12, 11:25 PM)vintagedaddyo Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if this is related to your issue but, over the years on various versions of mybb I have sometimes run into a similar problem on various localhost setups where the export xml is corrupted. What I found was that the closing tag on the xml file was incomplete..., editing the xml closing tag to be complete tended to fix said problem as far as making the xml file importable. Not sure if that is what you are experiencing or not.

Thanks for your response. I checked the XML files of the document, and like I said, they were completely different from the ones that I copied from other sites.

It does not contain any HTML, but it appears to be a block version of CSS. I have uploaded the .xml file so you can see what I'm talking about.

[attachment=40839]
That's most certainly not how an export should look. Try with Include customized items only? set to No and Include templates in the export as well? set to Yes.

Opened wrong file. Ignore this.
(2018-09-13, 12:45 AM)Hoofbeats Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-12, 11:25 PM)vintagedaddyo Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if this is related to your issue but, over the years on various versions of mybb I have sometimes run into a similar problem on various localhost setups where the export xml is corrupted. What I found was that the closing tag on the xml file was incomplete..., editing the xml closing tag to be complete tended to fix said problem as far as making the xml file importable. Not sure if that is what you are experiencing or not.

Thanks for your response. I checked the XML files of the document, and like I said, they were completely different from the ones that I copied from other sites.

It does not contain any HTML, but it appears to be a block version of CSS. I have uploaded the .xml file so you can see what I'm talking about.

Open the xml file in an editor and find:

<stylesheet name="onlinetoday.css" 0version="1817">

Change to:

<stylesheet name="onlinetoday.css" version="1817">

And it will import just fine. 

[Image: 255m78z.png]

Btw...., there is html in the xml in the "templates" section.

[Image: 333wc50.png]
@Wires
Thanks for your help. I went through and did that with no change. I also tried disabling all plugins in the user configuration, and that didn't help either.

@VintageDaddyo

I did that, and it allowed me to import the file. Thank you!

Does anyone have any idea if anything in particular is causing it? I would like to fix the root issue if possible.
(2018-09-13, 01:43 AM)Hoofbeats Wrote: [ -> ]@Wires
Thanks for your help. I went through and did that with no change. I also tried disabling all plugins in the user configuration, and that didn't help either.

@VintageDaddyo

I did that, and it allowed me to import the file. Thank  you!

Does anyone have any idea if anything in particular is causing it? I would like to fix the root issue if possible.

Cool beans! Glad you got it sorted out.

Not sure if this will correct the overall issue but you could perhaps try removing any whitespace from the beginning of your css files before export? for example primarily in onlinetoday.css....
(2018-09-13, 02:07 AM)vintagedaddyo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-13, 01:43 AM)Hoofbeats Wrote: [ -> ]@Wires

@VintageDaddyo

I did that, and it allowed me to import the file. Thank  you!

Cool beans! Glad you got it sorted out.

Not sure if this will correct the overall issue but you could perhaps try removing any whitespace from the beginning of your css files before export? for example primarily in onlinetoday.css....

Awesome! Thank you so much! I will give that a try. I know coding can be quite picky at times,