MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 1.8.19 update turns out to be 1.8.15?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
you can't use the incremental package when you are more than 1 point release behind. So you either have to take that full package if you want to go from 15 -> 19

or otherwise you have to do an incremental upgrade to 16. Hope that clarifies.
One of the installation instructions is "Using an ftp client ..., upload the contents of the 'Upload' directory to the directory in which you have a previous version of MyBB installed,"

In the Windows world, this means uploading 777 files and 78 folders to the forum root. Is this really what is wanted, or should I upload the Upload directory (including all its subfiles and subdirs)?

In other words, are the many files and directories in the update supposed to overwrite what is already there, or is the Upload directory supposed to contain them all when I browse to  /install/upgrade.php ?

I think for me this is the critical question. The instructions are ambiguous.
It's meant to overwrite what's already there. Since you're new at this, the critical thing is to make a database and file backup before proceeding.
Okay, I'm uploading not "Upload" but the first level of files and directories under "Upload", overwriting any identical files/dirs, except for "settings.php". I think the instructions in Documentation and elsewhere should say this clearly. Yes, I am new to all of this!
Quote:Upload all of the files and folders inside the package (from inside the Upload/ folder if using the full package), including the install/ folder (if it exists), overwriting the existing copies of the files in your file system.

I don't understand what you're complaining about. It tells you "clearly" what you should be uploading.

"from inside the Upload/ folder"
"overwriting the existing copies of the files"
I agree with you, but your quotation does not come from the instructions I am following, which are Documentation/upgrade.html . Those are the instructions that are not clear to me. I am upgrading, rather than creating a new forum installation.
It actually says it right here - https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/upgrad...he-upgrade. Not sure what you're following.
Success!

Quote:Congratulations, your copy of MyBB has successfully been updated to 1.8.19.

Just one small problem. The file init.php was overwritten with old information about where my forum is located. This involved the Defines FORUM_URL and FORUM_URL_PAGED. Correcting these manually allowed the forum to appear, instead of a 404 error.

I can see that other parts of init.php were changed by the update, so this problem was my fault, due to my moving my forum from one location to another. The move necessitated changes to init.php, settings.php, and one or two of the SQL tables.

I have backups, should further problems arise due to the move, and I am experienced with PHP and MySQL.

Perhaps MyBB needs an admin function to move it to another location...?

In any case, thanks to all for the quick help! Heart
(2018-09-20, 09:37 PM)DavidS111 Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with you, but your quotation does not come from the instructions I am following, which are Documentation/upgrade.html . Those are the instructions that are not clear to me. I am upgrading, rather than creating a new forum installation.

What you are getting confused about is the usage of the word 'Install' for the upgrade process. It's a bad choice of words, but that's the way it's supposed to work for ANY upgrade.

Open your forum’s home page in your web browser and add /install/ to the URL. For example, www.yourdomain.com/install/ or www.yourdomain.com/forum/install/.

Just type this way as instructed and don't worry too much about the wrong word being used for the upgrade process.

ADDENDUM: One way to rethink this is to think that "I am installing a new upgrade". That logical thinking should help you overcome the bad word choice.
(2018-09-20, 10:02 PM)DavidS111 Wrote: [ -> ]Just one small problem. The file init.php was overwritten with old information about where my forum is located. This involved the Defines FORUM_URL and FORUM_URL_PAGED. Correcting these manually allowed the forum to appear, instead of a 404 error.

init.php doesn't get "overwritten" if by overwritten you mean that some sort of preferences are stored in it. If you had to modify init.php to avoid 404 errors then you are doing it wrong. There are settings to adjust how MyBB works, you shouldn't be editing core files (even settings.php) directly.

Edit: Except config.php
Pages: 1 2 3