MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: problem with Threads & Posts counter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I've a problem I don't know from where it's cames  Exclamation 

example:

a user post a theard in an empty forum, counter shows in home page of the community that there is 1 theard and 1 post and in the reality there is a 1 theard is true but post 0 not 1  Exclamation

How can I fixe it ?

Thanks in advance   Blush
That is how the software is supposed to function.

You can see for yourself by submitting a test post here on the forum when you post a thread, and you will notice that the thread and post count go up by one count.
That is normal and a simple explanation:

A thread is comprised of posts. So, the first post starts the thread but is still just a post. All following posts are still in the same thread but count as further posts in the one thread. Think of it simply like this for example: the thread is a clothesline and when you pin a postit note to it, that is a post..., no matter how many postit notes you add to the clothesline the clothesline is still the single clothesline. Hopefully that makes sense.
(2018-09-25, 01:52 AM)vintagedaddyo Wrote: [ -> ]That is normal and a simple explanation:

A thread is comprised of posts. So, the first post starts the thread but is still just a post. All following posts are still in the same thread but count as further posts in the one thread. Think of it it like this for example: the thread is a clothesline and when you pin a postit note to it, that is a post..., no matter how many postit notes you add to the clothesline the clothesline is still the single clothesline. Hopefully that makes sense.

If I can explain it even further...

This took me a while to figure it out rationally myself...

The very first post (also known as 'original post' or 'original poster') is both a 'Thread' and a 'Post' and that is the ONLY time that this happens on a forum.
Any posts that come AFTER that original post, automatically becomes a 'post', not a 'thread', even if the topic of that thread changes a little (or a lot), it's still under that first thread/post.
Even if the 'original poster' responds to his/her own thread, that 2nd/3rd/4th (and so on...) posts in the same thread are now counted as 'posts', not threads. 

That's why the numbers of threads will typically be lower than the numbers of posts.