MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Calendar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
As is, the calendar is of very limited use. Months ago there was a discussion on whether to beef up the calendar or tear it out (and leave the possibility of a plugin).
(2018-09-26, 03:56 AM)bv64 Wrote: [ -> ]"possibility of removing" doesn't sound like "calendar will be removed soon"
will 1.9 still contain the calendar?

That hasn't yet been decided. It currently still exists in the 1.9 code. It's not a big task to remove it, so we're not in a rush to do so until we have a solid feel for how such a move would be received by users.
My opinion for what it's worth is to keep it in, unless there is a compelling reason the team wants to remove it. I think it still adds value to the overall product.
(2018-09-26, 07:57 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]My opinion for what it's worth is to keep it in, unless there is a compelling reason the team wants to remove it. I think it still adds value to the overall product.

The reasons for removing it from the core, in my eyes, are as follows:
  • The calendar will need some attention to be re-styled to suit the new theme in 1.9
  • Maintaining an official calendar plugin outside of the core would allow that calendar plugin to be worked on independently of the core and means there could be plugin updates for it without waiting for full MyBB releases
  • Maintaining an official calendar plugin should be less work which may help attract more people to contribute code for the calendar functionality, helping us to improve its functionality
  • Having official team managed plugins gives us a set of plugins that we know are at least half-decently written that can serve to help show our intended best practices for 3rd party developers writing plugins
(2018-09-26, 08:02 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
  • The calendar will need some attention to be re-styled to suit the new theme in 1.9

C'mon, i gave the team some styling tips:  Big Grin
https://community.mybb.com/thread-219654.html - post #9

Once removed, there's the risk of the calendar becoming an abandoned plugin...
thank you Euan T for the answer
(2018-09-26, 08:15 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-26, 08:02 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]

C'mon, i gave the team some styling tips:  Big Grin
https://community.mybb.com/thread-219654.html - post #9

Once removed, there's the risk of the calendar becoming an abandoned plugin...

I've been on holiday for 2 weeks, starting on the exact day you posted that thread Toungue

The screenshot you presented does look better, but I'm not sure if it would fit with the current 1.9 design - you can see what the calendar currently looks like in 1.9 here: https://mybb.jsoltesz.com/mybb-1.9/calendar.php (warning: it's ugly...)
Yeah, i saw that. Keep it in Alpha release, even if it looks like that for now. Maybe someone can figure out a new look for it in between alpha and a release candidate version.
My preference is a plugin based on the Google Calendar.
I don't see any reason why that can't be created for the 1.9.xx version.

As of this post, I do not see a plugin that can be tied to the Google Calendar.
The Google Calendar is cloud-based and not subject to server or website downtimes.
I would say that MyBB should create two categories for "plugins". Simple plugins that add new things based on already added things to core MyBB that will allow people to extend MyBB like it is now. Other one should be like "application". It could allow people to further integrate new functions to their extensions, run new plugin hooks, that smaller "plugins" could use to extend existing app. Calendar due to how big it is and how it could be used should be treated like an app. In this way it could have it's own plugin hooks etc. Also with this whole "app" thing people will be able to create new "apps" that use this better integration (like proper ACP settings page creation without modifying base MyBB files).
That's why if Calendar is going to be removed I say YES, but only if it would be recreated as an optional app, that could use plugins to extend it more. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3