MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Organize users in a mybb forum into "Teams" (via custom groups)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all

I am a newbie just helping to set up an online forum on our site using mybb

Our tech expert has set it up for single sign in -- registering and logging into our site will also give users access to our mybb forum

What I would like to do is to have users be able to organize themselves into "teams" and for users to be able to sort the posts on the forum by team.

After a little looking, I noticed that an admin can assign custom user groups, and I am thinking that maybe these could be our teams.

So my questions:

1) does that sound correct -- we can organize users by "team" using custom groups?

2) can one set up the forum so that threads can be sorted by custom group (i.e. by team)? The goal is to have all of the threads be able to be sorted by team.

3) can the group have an icon that would allow a thread (and users within that thread) to be identified by team/custom group?

4) in our site's database (not the mybb database), teams have team names and team id's.  Can we set it up so that corresponding teams (i.e. custom user groups) of the same name are automatically created in mybb once that team is created in our site's database?

If there are any mybb forums out there which are organized as I have envisioned above, I would love to have a look at them.

thank you!
Jason
This is mostly custom work. The teams sounds doable by creating groups and then setting permissions. Your members can then either join freely or you can control access with the stock mybb options.
thanks Ashley! I am going to play around with this a bit. In the meantime, if anyone knows of any mybb forums out there that do something like what I am envisioning, please let me know.
The joining of groups takes place from within the user control panel or ACP if you're an admin, so will be difficult to point any forums out.
I guess what I meant by other forums was the ability to sort threads by group, and whether custom group icons are possible

I have been exploring the mybb admin options, and I've successfully made a group that any user can join 

I joined it myself and then made a post.  I am hoping to see my group affiliation somewhere in my post, but I don't see it there.  Am I missing a step to make my group affiliations showing?  I am an admin so that is my primary "group" but I would like to show my other groups as well if possible

I also tried to customize the group by adding a group images.  In the group tools I see this option:

Quote:Group Image
Here you can set a group image which will show on each post made by users in this group.

...but I can't seem to get that to work.

Maybe I'm not calling up the image file in the right way?  I first tried putting the image file I want to use in the image folder and referring to it in the group image field box as

Quote:images/[my_image_file]

...but that didn't work. No group image is showing next to my post.

I also see a folder in inside the image folder called "groupimages". so I tried copying my image fiole into that folder,  and referring to it in the group image field box as simply

Quote:[my_image_file]

...but that didn't work either.

I must be missing something here, probably something quite basic. Can anyone hep with this?

Quote:/images/[my_image_file]

...didn't work either

Is this possibly related to the problem I'm having with group images?

https://github.com/mybb/mybb/pull/3315

nevermind!  I got the group image to display by editing the displaygroup in the users database table

but I still have several questions related to what I wrote above -- I may start a new thread!