MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Error while upgrading...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi to everybody,
I'm upgrading an old version of mybb to the last one (fm 1.2.1 to 1.8.19) and I'm facing this trouble:
the upgrading starts without problems but after a little while I get the following message:

MyBB SQL Error
MyBB has experienced an internal SQL error and cannot continue.
SQL Error:
     1054 - Unknown column 'modposts' in 'field list'
Query: SELECT      fid,active,open,allowhtml,allowmycode,allowsmilies,allowimgcode,allowpicons,allowtratings,usepostcounts,showinjump,modposts,modthreads,modattachments,overridestyle FROM mybb_2018_forums ORDER BY fid LIMIT 0, 10000

What's the matter and what could I do?
Thanks in advance for all the help you kindly will give me.

Roberto (aka sister) TrainzForFree
1.2.1 to 1.8.19, jumping from such an old version to a new one is likely the issue. You will probably have better luck upgrading in smaller increments with old versions one by one.
First of all I'd like to thank you for your kind reply.
At this point I've to ask another question: where could I find the older versions to download? I didn't see them around. Thanks again in advance

The “releases” section of MyBB should have all that you’re looking for. Also you’re very welcome!

https://github.com/mybb/mybb/releases
I'll try with this link. Thanks again, dude, for your usefull help. I'll let you know if everythings will go fine. bye

Hi isoldehn, I did the first little step trying to udate from the v. 1.2.1. to the 1.2.2 just to see if it worked.
I uploaded the files with filezilla to the server and open the browser.
As soon as I launch the [mysite]/forum/install/ I got this message :

Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /membri/e444/forum/inc/class_core.php on line 148

I tried to go on with the required procedure but when I came to the "tables creation" step it blocked itselves at this point (see attachment).
What could I do? Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Hmmm, unfortunately I am unsure of what would cause that. You could attempt to upload that specific file again and see if it goes away but other than that I don’t know. Will likely need someone more knowledgeable than me to continue.
The 1.2.x, and it will be the same with all the versions of MyBB before 1.8.x, use old versions of PHP, and some functions are now obsolete, deprecated or suppressed.
Which version of PHP do you use ? Peharps you can allow the use of deprecated functions by adding, at the beginning of the upgrade.php file, the following line:
error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_DEPRECATED & ~E_NOTICE);
thanks Crazycat,
we're using php 5.3.10 on altervista.com for our forum. Is it of any help?
We are almost tempted to let down everything and create a brand new forum using the old one in read mode only if we will find no way to upgrade it but it's sad...
So, try to edit the install/upgrade.php file to add the short line I gave you at the beginning of the file (before the defines) or replace the existing "error_reporting" line if exists, and run the upgrade.
You'll have to do this for all the upgrades.

Remember to close your forum, save your database, deactivate all your plugins and revert all templates before do your upgrade cycles.