MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Attachments should be available for use in multiple posts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's really been bothering me that i cannot use 
[attachment=###]

to re-use the same attached file (e.g. a screenshot) in several posts. Why waste upload space and re-upload it for any new post? 

I have no strong opinion on whether that should only be allowed for own attachments or for all attachments visible to a user (group), maybe that'd be something to be determined in ACP settings.

It might even be nice to create some kind of "attachment pool" by adding a checkbox "make file available for others" during upload. This way e.g. a support team can use when they need the same illustration again. We are using many rather large PDFs for example that really need not be re-uploaded every time but which cannot easily be linked to from other posts than the ones they were associated with.

Yes, I know one can cross-link to the post where the attachment has been uploaded for, but that can be confusing or distracting.
(2018-10-14, 10:45 AM)linguist Wrote: [ -> ]It's really been bothering me that i cannot use 
[attachment=###]

to re-use the same attached file (e.g. a screenshot) in several posts. Why waste upload space and re-upload it for any new post? 

I have no strong opinion on whether that should only be allowed for own attachments or for all attachments visible to a user (group), maybe that'd be something to be determined in ACP settings.

It might even be nice to create some kind of "attachment pool" by adding a checkbox "make file available for others" during upload. This way e.g. a support team can use when they need the same illustration again. We are using many rather large PDFs for example that really need not be re-uploaded every time but which cannot easily be linked to from other posts than the ones they were associated with.

Yes, I know one can cross-link to the post where the attachment has been uploaded for, but that can be confusing or distracting.

I second this suggestion.

I do not like cross-links due to possible posting abuse.
Yeah, but not in quotes as you asked about. I meant that attachments could be made available to be re-used independently from quoting existing posts.