MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Buddy System - how to turn off in Admin Panel?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm an Admin of a myBB discussion Forum.  I've been spammed twice lately (a buddy request has been sent to my mail box) by members who haven't made posts and are having fun with the buddy system request system.  Is there a way to disable this system in the Admin Panel ?
There's no option to turn it off. Why don't you just delete those user accounts. If it's just a problem for you, there's an option to turn off receiving the buddy request PM in usercp options.
Thanks @Ashley1. That is the crux of the problem. OBVIOUSLY, it is already turned off in my User Panel. It's still coming through though. That option isn't working well either as I think it's only there to automate the acceptance of a buddy, not to turn the "receipt of requests" off.

Someone suggested one could work with the template pages (refer link below), but maybe things have changed as I can't find those lines to edit out. Maybe an update of how to remove those links in the template pages is available - would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction?
https://community.mybb.com/post-1115356.html
yes you can do as suggested in that thread, templates are the same.
(2018-10-17, 08:05 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]yes you can do as suggested in that thread, templates are the same.

Please, can you read my previous post properly:

1. I've tried the suggestion BUT it is dated 2014 and the lines to be deleted are not available in 1.8 template.

2. I've asked whether any one else has tried to disable this function through the templates in 1.8, and if they could point me in the right direction for what and where to remove in the templates.

If you can't provide the guidelines can you please allow other members to answer instead.  Many thanks.
if you cant find that code in your 1.8 templates then you must be running custom templates and only you know what is contained in it. but good luck getting help from someone else !
(2018-10-17, 09:03 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]if you cant find that code in your 1.8 templates then you must be running custom templates and only you know what is contained in it. but good luck getting help from someone else !

Ashley1 is correct, these templates are still located in 1.8 and if you do not see the things to remove your custom theme may have them in different areas. My board is running 1.8.19 and I can locate all of these.

(2014-11-05, 09:27 AM)mmadhankumar Wrote: [ -> ]there is no setting to disable it but a series of template edits can hide it from display... i am saying it as "hide" because the functionality can still be accessed if they use the direct url http://your_forum.com/usercp.php?action=editlists

mmadhankumar noted that they could still use direct access however you could always edit the usercp_editlists template and replace it with an error no permission template instead so even if still directly accessed it does not work.

<html>
<head>
	<title>{$mybb->settings['bbname']} - {$lang->edit_lists}</title>
	{$headerinclude}
	<script type="text/javascript" src="{$mybb->asset_url}/jscripts/usercp.js?ver=1808"></script>
	<script type="text/javascript">
		lang.remove_buddy = '{$lang->confirm_remove_buddy}';
		lang.remove_ignored = '{$lang->confirm_remove_ignored}';
		lang.adding_buddy = '{$lang->adding_buddy}';
		lang.adding_ignored = '{$lang->adding_ignored}';
      	lang.buddylist_error = '{$lang->buddylist_error}';
	</script>

<link rel="stylesheet" href="{$mybb->asset_url}/jscripts/select2/select2.css?ver=1807">
	<script type="text/javascript" src="{$mybb->asset_url}/jscripts/select2/select2.min.js?ver=1806"></script>

</head>
<body>
	{$header}
	<table width="100%" border="0" align="center">
	<tr>
		{$usercpnav}
		<td valign="top">

<table border="0" cellspacing="{$theme['borderwidth']}" cellpadding="{$theme['tablespace']}" class="tborder">
				<tr>
					<td class="thead" align="center"><strong>{$lang->edit_buddy_list}</strong></td>
				</tr>
				<tr>
					<td class="trow1">
						{$lang->error_nopermission_user_1}
						<ol>
							<li>{$lang->error_nopermission_user_2}</li>
							<li>{$lang->error_nopermission_user_3}</li>
							<li>{$lang->error_nopermission_user_4} (<a href="member.php?action=resendactivation">{$lang->error_nopermission_user_resendactivation}</a>)</li>
							<li>{$lang->error_nopermission_user_5}</li>
						</ol>
					</td>
				</tr>
			</table>

</td>
	</tr>
	</table>
	{$footer}
</body>
</html>