MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Remove BuddyList system - or add option in Admin Panel to disable it.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2018-10-18, 09:12 AM)playerNumOne Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-10-18, 03:11 AM)v_2 Wrote: [ -> ]Just because YOU don't use a MyBB feature on your forum, doesn't mean someone else don't use it.

if everytime someone "suggest" to "remove" a feature in MyBB, and that request was granted,
MyBB would  now be just a piece of paper and a piece of coal.

It is used but that doesn't take away that it is weird to have a buddy system, I'd rather have it renamed. 

Just because you allow certain members to contact you it doesn't mean they are your 'buddies'. 
Rather have it renamed and instead of asking to be buddies it should asked to be contacts. You're asking for permission to contact the person not to be a buddy in my eyes. 

Now it doesn't affect my forums as it is gaming related but I can imagine that it looks rather stupid for professional websites with forums.

You do have a good point there.

Renaming it will help a lot. 

In fact, why not change the core code a bit to allow Admins to change it to any way they want? 
If you want Buddies, keep it that way. You prefer 'Contacts', change it. You prefer 'Friends', change it. 
My point allows the Admins the option to change that setting to a different name depending on the purpose of the website.

It would be kind of similar to how we name our topical forums for our website.
We can change the names of those forums anytime we want, but it doesn't affect the overall operation of the website.
Wouldn’t be hard for the admin to edit the name... just alter some templates and languages and that should do it.
(2018-10-18, 11:01 AM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]Wouldn’t be hard for the admin to edit the name...  just alter some templates and languages and that should do it.

You'll have to change the language and some templates to change the naming, I don't call that 'just'. 
That isn't really user friendly. Majority of the community doesn't even know where to even begin with while searching the naming in templates.

I am just saying that it might be better to rename it as MyBB provides the base forum which gets edited to your own liking by yourself. The name "contact" fits more than "buddy" when you look at the purpose of the function. Not only does it fit more it is in general more professional and the community easily understands the functionality behind it more than "buddy". It is a small and easy change for the developers of MyBB but for the majority of the community it is a difficult change.

Once again, I personally don't care but I can see if you would use MyBB for more serious purposes than lets say 'a small gaming community' the naming is weird.
[Image: Screenshot-from-2018-10-20-09-16-39.png]
Pages: 1 2