MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Non English characters displaying as garbage after server migration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A couple of days ago I migrated forum from one server to another and noticed that all Urdu language text is coming up as garbage. If I edit text then it starts displaying fine but by default, all Urdu text is not displaying properly.

How do I fix this issue?

https://www.sportsforum.pk/Thread-How-to-write-in-Urdu

[Image: r5ydzdD.png]

[Image: pK7q6ve.png]
It looks like a charset issue.

Did you also migrate to a new database server? Are the text fields in the new database set up with the same charset as the old one?
(2018-10-29, 05:24 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]It looks like a charset issue.

Did you also migrate to a new database server? Are the text fields in the new database set up with the same charset as the old one?

Moved from Debian 9 to Debian 8 and Debian 9 may have had a higher version of MySQL which could be the issue?
I just took backup from old MySQL and restored on the new one.
as above helper said, database character set needs to be changed to match the original database.
It is UTF8 and I am pretty sure it was the same on the previous server. I didn't change a thing ever since it was installed last year.