MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Default Capatcha
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

It is no secret spam bots are the bane of everyone's lives who run a forum. It's clear that Google's capatcha has became by far the most popular method and the default MyBB is lagging behind.

I'm proposing we drop support for the default with the favour of keeping up with Google support.
I agree
If we do go ahead with removal, I think it would be a good idea to add an installation step that asks for reCAPTCHA API key in order to set a proper captcha up out of the box.
(2018-11-11, 04:19 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]If we do go ahead with removal, I think t would be a good idea to add an installation step that asks for reCAPTCHA API key in order to set a proper captcha up out of the box.

I second this idea! Sounds like a better plan anyways!
(2018-11-11, 04:19 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]If we do go ahead with removal, I think it would be a good idea to add an installation step that asks for reCAPTCHA API key in order to set a proper captcha up out of the box.

Agreed. We need to make sure admins know they need to set it up as part of installation or else they will be inundated with spam.
(2018-11-11, 04:35 PM)Justin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-11-11, 04:19 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]If we do go ahead with removal, I think it would be a good idea to add an installation step that asks for reCAPTCHA API key in order to set a proper captcha up out of the box.

Agreed. We need to make sure admins know they need to set it up as part of installation or else they will be inundated with spam.

Probably best to do the same with Stop Forum Spam too.
(2018-11-11, 04:19 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]If we do go ahead with removal, I think it would be a good idea to add an installation step that asks for reCAPTCHA API key in order to set a proper captcha up out of the box.

If you're making reCaptcha core, this would be a no-brainer.
(2018-11-12, 12:00 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]

If you're making reCaptcha core, this would be a no-brainer.

I believe that would be the goal.
There are various reasons not to use ReCaptcha: Local installations, privacy concerns, regulations (think of GDPR) or simply not being dependent on a 3rd party service.
(2018-11-16, 07:44 AM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]There are various reasons not to use ReCaptcha: Local installations, privacy concerns, regulations (think of GDPR) or simply not being dependent on a 3rd party service.

I should imagine that (at least) local installations would not require reCaptcha. Just as you can allow registration now with no captcha, this shouldn't change.
Pages: 1 2