MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Correct user credentials will not log in
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A user contacted me stating their password is not working.

They tried the password reset procedure a few times (including the trick where you request new password twice in a row and respond to the second email) - no improvement.

I tried giving the user a password manually (copy pasting in their preferred password, as plain text), and neither they nor I can log in with that user's credentials - again copy-plain text pasting in the password, or manually typing. 
I have tried changing the password again - and still no luck

Both the user and I have tried using other browsers, clearing cache etc, and still cannot log in. 

What might be going wrong here, and more importantly, how can I fix it?
Hi there, I did some digging around and found this.

You might have luck giving this a shot assuming you have access to phpMyAdmin.

(2009-01-30, 03:57 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]To reset a lost/forgotten to 'test' (requires you to change X to the uid of the user this will apply to):
UPDATE `mybb_users` SET `password` = '098f6bcd4621d373cade4e832627b4f6', `salt` = '' WHERE `uid` = 'X'
(2018-11-12, 05:13 AM)isoldehn Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there, I did some digging around and found this.

You might have luck giving this a shot assuming you have access to phpMyAdmin.

(2009-01-30, 03:57 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]To reset a lost/forgotten to 'test' (requires you to change X to the uid of the user this will apply to):
UPDATE `mybb_users` SET `password` = '098f6bcd4621d373cade4e832627b4f6', `salt` = '' WHERE `uid` = 'X'

Thanks Isolden
I just gave that a try for this user's ID but still user credentials are rejected.

I am marking this as solved though have not solved the underlying problem - however, for anyone else facing this issue, a workaround was/is to create a new account for the user, merge old with new, then go back and edit the new username and password back to match the original.  My user can now log in again, and his old posts etc are still linked to his account.