MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to format category layout within subforums?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there any way to format a subforum to have the same category layout as the main forum? I know how to change between forum and category, as well as how to choose parent forums. The format I am going for is:

Forum
--Category
----Subforum
----Subforum
--Category
----Subforum
------Category
--------Subforum
--------Subforum
------Category
... And so on.

The main forum shows:
Category
--Subforum
--Subforum
Category
--Subforum
--Subforum

... like it should, but when I click on the subforum that is supposed to have categories within it, those categories show as:

"Forums in 'Subforum'"
--Category
 Sub Forums: Subforum, Subforum...
--Category

The forum is private, so screenshots and test accounts are unavailable, but we are currently running MyBB 1.8.14 with PHP version 7.1.20-1. The issue wasn't caused by an upgrade or anything that we are aware of. We just never had the need for categories within subforums before to notice until now. Thanks in advance for any help.
(2018-11-14, 02:50 AM)johndough Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any way to format a subforum to have the same category layout as the main forum? I know how to change between forum and category, as well as how to choose parent forums. The format I am going for is:

Forum
--Category
----Subforum
----Subforum
--Category
----Subforum
------Category
--------Subforum
--------Subforum
------Category
... And so on.

The main forum shows:
Category
--Subforum
--Subforum
Category
--Subforum
--Subforum

... like it should, but when I click on the subforum that is supposed to have categories within it, those categories show as:

"Forums in 'Subforum'"
--Category
--Category

The forum is private, so screenshots and test accounts are unavailable, but we are currently running MyBB 1.8.14 with PHP version 7.1.20-1. The issue wasn't caused by an upgrade or anything that we are aware of. We just never had the need for categories within subforums before to notice until now. Thanks in advance for any help.

The way you are describing the schematic is that you want the ability to create a 'Category' within a 'Sub-forum'.

This is how it looks like on my website. 

The first screenshot is the setup part in AdminCP...

[Image: 1d493cdc774ea6beb5892bf85d38207d.png]

The second screenshot is what it looks like when I pull it up in the forum management.

[Image: cf1dc0101b0ef00ab0916142375b99d7.png]

The third screenshot is what it looks like 'live' on my website.

[Image: 2fbe0e65acdfd289d58b6159e94b16f5.png]

Bottom line, 'Categories' are still placed above 'forums and sub-forums'. This is hard coded into MyBB software.

However, you can create 'sub-forums' from 'sub-forums' and treat the 1st sub-forum as the 'parent' and any child sub-forums will be placed underneath the original 'sub-forum'. 

I hope this makes sense.
Thank you for the reply, but that isn't really at all what I was looking for. I have everything organized into categories and forums as they need to be and as I would like them to be to essentially create a private forum within the public one.

[Edited to use the actual screenshots below]

***ACTUAL SCREENSHOT UPDATE***

This is the main area, the way I would expect sub forums to be listed in categories, and exactly what I am going for:

[attachment=41260]

This is the "Private Area" category, meant to be a forum within the other forum, and not at all how I would expect the categories and sub forums to be displayed:

[attachment=41261]

This is just the tree for the "Private Area", in case it is relevent:

[attachment=41262]

Back to the root question: How do I change the "Private Area" layout, so that it looks like the same arrangement as the main area?