MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upgrading from 1.6.11 - URL's issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been running an old version of MyBB for several years now.

I'd some custom code changes to the core but now I've switched all of them to plugins so it's time to get the forum updated.

I've already setup a testing environment and updated the database and files without many troubles, the only big issue I couldn't solve was "friendly URL's". I'm currently using Google SEO (1.6.6). I only changed the user profile's URL... it's forum.com/username instead of forums.com/User-username.

There is no way I can update the forum if I cannot keep the same URL links for everything. I've tried several configurations and I've never made it work. No errors but I think the Google SEO plugin for +1.8 may be using different table structure or something.

Did anyone have the same issue before?

I wasn't sure if I should post here or in Google SEO specific thread or issue section. Sorry if it's wrong.
Well, nothing changed really... should just work. (Upload Google SEO 1.8.x plugin files, deactivate plugin, activate plugin, done.)

If you uninstalled that may be your problem, as uninstalling removes the URL table and it has to re-build URLs first - and won't redirect anymore if you had any name changes going on.

As for code changes, you can use my Patches plugin to maintain those. I'm still on (heavily patched) 1.6 myself, skipped 1.8 for various reasons, won't upgrade until 1.9...

What does Google SEO say on the plugin status page? Apart from URL scheme conflicts ( https://github.com/frostschutz/MyBB-Goog...-conflicts ) but I guess you're prepared for those (the day one of your users decides to call themselves "Thread-Subject" is the day everything breaks)
Well, I can't tell how I exactly did it because I don't remember but if you say it should work I will start again from scratch and give it a new try. Thank you so much for your time.

(2018-11-15, 10:40 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]the day one of your users decides to call themselves "Thread-Subject" is the day everything breaks
That's why nobody can include forum,thread,announcements,calendars or events on it's username! Toungue

I will update the thread if I still have problems after the process is done.
Well, if you still have problems, do show what Google SEO says on the plugins page.

It would warn you about URL scheme conflict (depending how old your Google SEO version was before, it didn't warn you).

However you can choose to ignore this warning if you took steps to prevent a conflict in this case and ordered your RewriteRules in such a way that Thread-* is checked before * - or Thread-Subject would redirect to userprofile anyway.