MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Updating MODS without permission from original author*(*that cannot be contacted).
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
up for discussion.

Example:
Lets say theres a  MOD/PLUGIN for MyBB 1.2.* , and the Original Author can NOT be found:

1. Has not logged into MyBB.com for 6 years
  2. Has not replied to 3 emails/or social contacts
  3. Homepage is no longer available ( expired domain )
  4. In the original MOD file  the author stated:  * You may not modify or redistribute this file
With that said, what is MyBB.com policy on someone else/new doing:
  • "Updating that file/MOD" for it to work in MyBB 1.8.* and sharing it ?
  • Posting the "fix" (just lines of codes to change) on the mybb.com forum ?

* I've seen many old mods recreated by different authors, not sure if they did or did not get permission.
(2018-11-18, 04:51 PM)v_2 Wrote: [ -> ]up for discussion.

Example:
Lets say theres a  MOD/PLUGIN for MyBB 1.2.* , and the Original Author can NOT be found:

1. Has not logged into MyBB.com for 6 years
  2. Has not replied to 3 emails/or social contacts
  3. Homepage is no longer available ( expired domain )
  4. In the original MOD file  the author stated:  * You may not modify or redistribute this file
With that said, what is MyBB.com policy on someone else/new doing:
  • "Updating that file/MOD" for it to work in MyBB 1.8.* and sharing it ?
  • Posting the "fix" (just lines of codes to change) on the mybb.com forum ?

* I've seen many old mods recreated by different authors, not sure if they did or did not get permission.

That's a big question that has no easy answers.

There are many plugins and themes that are in the same situation.

Many of those were done under the 'Open Source' criteria, but then the author will throw in the "may not modify or redistribute" clause in there. 

So, what does one do in this situation?

I have seen numerous plugins that have been re-done and a lot of the same code or most of the code were used and the "new" author will claim it as their own. 

Why? 

Because of the reasons you described above. Most of them (plugins and/or themes) have been abandoned and not updated in years.

The way I look at it... if the author has abandoned a project and just left it there... in my opinion, anyone can modify it and redistribute anyway they want it because it's obvious to me that the original author doesn't care anymore and likely will not pursue the 'new author' for updating a project they had abandoned.

Just my 2 cents...
There is no policy that the MyBB Team invoke. Think of the Extend Website like a file hosting website. It is mainly up to the team to ensure nothing malicious or against MyBB's policies is being hosted on there, apart from that, the author's license remains intact. Read the author's license.

Granted, when authors disappear and people update and redistribute their work, repercussions are unlikely to happen, but that doesn't mean that it's impossible. If the original author has put in the policy that they don't want their work modified or redistributed then the rights of the original author should be respected. If the redistributed work is reported, then I can see the MyBB Team taking it down to respect the license of the original author's work.
(2018-11-18, 05:08 PM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]If the redistributed work is reported, then I can see the MyBB Team taking it down to respect the license of the original author's work.

Who would be reporting this? The original author? 

Doubtful if he/she has abandoned their project in the first place.
What if the author dies or is unable to pick up the project due to personal reasons?

Is the license good for 'infinity' or what?

Why would the MyBB team take down a project that has been updated? 

Punishing a new author for updating an old abandoned project seems counterproductive.
I see nothing wrong with resurrecting a dead plugin if the author is no longer around to update it if you are just giving it away, but I don't think you should take someone else's idea and code, patch it up and start making money on their work...

My two most successful plugins were because I took over an abandoned project so it could be maintained and improved. If the author came back now and wanted to take over my work, I think I would laugh at them. I've been maintaining them for seven years, but they belong to the community.
It is fairly self explanatory...., if the release terms allow, then you can update/modify/improve/release and continue the project usually utilizing the same release terms/license while retaining credit to original author along with yourself as the terms have already stated permission for you to do so. If the release terms forbid this, then contacting the original author for permission is required. You would be surprised that yes, alot of times it takes a while for the author to get back in touch, but, if they do, many times they will give permission to continue the project. Yes, some may not get back to you, and those should be a no go if the release terms originally say no. Here is a quick example: a few folks wanted the headquarters acp style updated, so contacting the original author for permission to update and release was no trouble at all and permission was granted.
Maybe mybb.com TOS for sharing (FREE) work , or the LICENSE, should state to MOD CREATORS and THEME DESIGNERS,  that, any  FREE MODS/FREE THEMES uploaded to MYBB.COM SERVER, grants permission to mybb.com staff and mybb users/members the right  to modify/patch/share-source with the community, as long as copyright/credit to the original CREATOR/DESIGNER remains in the package/modified work..

If MOD CREATORS or THEME DESIGNERS won't accept that policy, then they are free to HOST their files on another SERVER*..... uploading to mybb.com server should grant mybb.com some "ownership" to the file(s).  

In the past, designers and creators that didn't want their work to be shared/modified, they simply removed their work from mybb.com servers https://mods.mybb.com | https://community.mybb.com/mods.php

*The same reason the MOD CREATORS / THEME DESIGNERS do NOT upload their PAID work to mybb.com server.

That might give a clearer understanding to designers/creators an idea of what can become of their work SHARED on mybb.com
 (abandoned or not)

More thoughts ???????