MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Multi-Instance + Third Party
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As we are all aware, quite a handful of people are trying to use multiple instances of MyBB that share the same >User< database. While yes, some tutorials are floating around, those with no code understanding or knowledge of inner-workings of database linking and setup, they are a huge daunting task that ultimately leads to failure.

What I propose is a very small change from my point of view:
-Separate the User database from forum specific fields.

The way I think it could work is the Username, Password, Hash; and things that don't change like: Birthday, Join Date, User ID.

Then since that is separated,  it should be easier to implement a system where multiple instances can be used all while using the same Userbase.

The third party setup I'm not sure how it could work, but MyBB is a foruming software, one of the most open and supported, but people need things like dedicated photo galleries, dedicated file upload sites to keep MyBB running fast. There are plenty more that can be listed but as you guys know, the list is long. 

I'm not expecting it anytime soon, but could it be in a possible future version? Having this type of features will completely set MyBB apart from other forum software because they don't have third party integration.
I have 4 software packages on my site. I try to synchronize basic user information (user id, username, email, password) among all four software packages. If all four software packages had similar 3rd party integration capabilities my life would be a lot easier.

Instead of a dedicated shared user table, make the data handlers (the user data handler specifically) easier to write plugins for.
That would probably be easier to implement well.
(2018-11-20, 03:09 PM)Zaqre Wrote: [ -> ]As we are all aware, quite a handful of people are trying to use multiple instances of MyBB that share the same >User< database.

I don't believe this should be core. For every webmaster here that is running a MyBB site, there are many more that don't post.

(2018-11-20, 03:09 PM)Zaqre Wrote: [ -> ]The third party setup I'm not sure how it could work, but MyBB is a foruming software, one of the most open and supported, but people need things like dedicated photo galleries, dedicated file upload sites to keep MyBB running fast. There are plenty more that can be listed but as you guys know, the list is long.

This is exactly what the plugin system is for. MyBB's already stretched team should not be required to keep a bunch of code up to date for third-party system integration.
(2018-11-20, 05:45 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]I have 4 software packages on my site. I try to synchronize basic user information (user id, username, email, password) among all four software packages.  If all four software packages had similar 3rd party integration capabilities my life would be a lot easier.

Instead of a dedicated shared user table, make the data handlers (the user data handler specifically) easier to write plugins for.

I think the biggest problem is although many people want to use third party and multi-board set ups, the reason why it isn't done often or current plugins to allow it is due to the fact that MyBB isn't set up to be integrated with other systems.