MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: JQuery Version
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd like to suggest that MyBB consider a different development path when it comes to the libraries it uses from 3rd parties such as JQuery.

Currently 1.8x runs version 1.2.14 of JQuery. And when a major version of MyBB is released then all the libraries seem stuck. Next version of MyBB plans to use Twig and who knows what other libraries are going to be integrated.

Is there a way MyBB can work toward keeping up to date with the library versions? It's truly sucky to be on a very old version of JQuery. Most examples js is for modern versions. We can't take advantage of newer methods and functions. It's just a way for MyBB to feel old within a year or two of release just because the libraries used aren't updated. Can this be altered in the development path?

Is there specific reasons why it's not updated and why we have to use old versions of libraries? This is why libraries imho are a bad idea to begin with. If we can't keep them updated then why bother? If MyBB only used its own code base it could do updates that were backward compatible.
I recall the problem being that we can't maintain updates as smoothly as we would like to. Updating libraries requires we to check vast code. It would be nice for every library being up to date.
Agreed on this, I pointed this issue last year and @frostschutz gave a really good solution for this.
I think for jquery and third party js, this will also work.
https://community.mybb.com/thread-214063...pid1288791

There is a open issue on this at Github
https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/2906
(2018-11-23, 05:02 AM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed on this, I pointed this issue last year and @frostschutz gave a really good solution for this.

Actually, that thread is just talking about cache busters for JS files. Labrocca is referring to actually updating to the newest version of third-party libraries...as in replacing them with the new version, testing to make sure nothing broke, and releasing it with the next version.
(2018-11-23, 03:11 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-11-23, 05:02 AM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed on this, I pointed this issue last year and @frostschutz gave a really good solution for this.

Actually, that thread is just talking about cache busters for JS files. Labrocca is referring to actually updating to the newest version of third-party libraries...as in replacing them with the new version, testing to make sure nothing broke, and releasing it with the next version.
My point is that the same method can be used for providing third party javascripts updates in MyBB versions. Smile
It would be worth adding some automation to JS testing if the team has resources. It will take a certain chunk of time to implement it, but then life should be easier.
Regarding PHP libraries, 1.9 uses Composer to manage dependencies. The plan is that each minor release (eg: 1.9.1, 1.9.2, etc) will be fixed to a given release, and a composer update to get the most recent version based upon our version constraints will be fetched. This way, the PHP libraries we use will be kept up to date with every MyBB release.

Ideally we'll do something similar for JS, the only problem is that the JS ecosystem seems to move about twice as fast as anybody else and there are thousands of different tools to manage library versions and dependencies (eg: nom, bower, yarn).