MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB broke - database crash again (Potential hack threat)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi again,

A while back I made a thread stating that MyBB on our website randomly ran into unexpected error messages after months of use.
The only way we could fix this was re-installing myBB from scratch.  After doing this everything went back to normal.

However, a few weeks later; we have new error messages.  Pages such as "memberslist" is completely broken as well as the admin panel (I've attached an image showing the error message).

We have a fairly popular website with thousands of visitors a day, I truly think this issue is from hackers coming back and attacking the website again.

You'll notice in the image the issue lies in "mybb_users"; to confirm, I didn't add any plugins into this fresh installation of myBB.
*sigh*

Crashed tables happen. It is not a hack threat nor is it a hack.

That's quite dismissive.
I understand that you weren't around when I made my first thread a while back.

The last time myBB broke it didn't involve any crashed tables, instead; many internal errors that appeared overnight.
It was unfixable and no one here had a clue what was going on.

Our forum is more prone to threats as we've integrated our login system to the myBB engine for our games (with member titles being colors in-game, as well as moderator privileges working ingame).

The login system code is very basic and I doubt it has any potential vulnerabilities for hackers.

(I've attached an old error message from that old thread for your convenience.  It has no relation to the issues we're experiencing now).
The old error message is completely different to the one you are now experiencing, as you have astutely pointed out. I’m, therefore, not interested in them.

Again: a crashed table is not a sign of a hack. Log into your phpMyAdmin, select the correct table and repair it. Instead of arguing the point, how about you try what I am telling you to do.
(2018-11-25, 04:09 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]*sigh*

Crashed tables happen. It is not a hack threat nor is it a hack.

(2018-11-25, 08:15 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]The old error message is completely different to the one you are now experiencing, as you have astutely pointed out. I’m, therefore, not interested in them.

Again: a crashed table is not a sign of a hack. Log into your phpMyAdmin, select the correct table and repair it. Instead of arguing the point, how about you try what I am telling you to do.

Your '*sigh*' attitude is unnecessary. 
If you have the intentions to help someone then you should be nice about it and not demeaning.

Thank you for your suggestion though.
(2018-12-02, 01:54 PM)ZeoWorks Wrote: [ -> ]Your '*sigh*' attitude is unnecessary. 
If you have the intentions to help someone then you should be nice about it and not demeaning.

Demeaning?

You are not the first user to claim there's a hack threat, which has been hyped up, on Open Source Software, and I assure you, you will not be the last. You do not get to tell me how to post, nor do you get to claim there's a hack threat unless you have substantial evidence to prove it.

You're welcome to try to fix the issue yourself, but claiming you've been hacked when you clearly haven't is simply laughable.
Ben Cousins is on the right lines though. A crashed table shouldn't be take as a sign of a hacking attempt. Generally, tables crash when you run out of disk space or an unexpected event has occurred. I would repair it and move on unless it's a persistent issue, in which case you would probably have better luck contacting your host.

This doesn't look to be a problem with MyBB.