MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Editing users defaults to Administrator
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As Admin, if you select one or more users to change their permissions, the default comes up as 'Administrator' for the users primary group.

I've verified that new users are only in the group 'Registered', but when you go to this screen to possibly add them to other groups, the default primary group is set to Administrators.

IF you don't reset it, and go ahead and add the users to other groups, they will become administrators.  I want the primary user group to default to 'Registered' on this screen.  See the attached screenshot.
(2018-11-26, 03:58 PM)lisa Wrote: [ -> ]As Admin, if you select one or more users to change their permissions, the default comes up as 'Administrator' for the users primary group.

I've verified that new users are only in the group 'Registered', but when you go to this screen to possibly add them to other groups, the default primary group is set to Administrators.

IF you don't reset it, and go ahead and add the users to other groups, they will become administrators.  I want the primary user group to default to 'Registered' on this screen.  See the attached screenshot.

See that little down arrow on the far right side of that little box?

Click on it... it will bring down the other usergroups, scroll up or down to select the usergroup you want. 
You MUST click on the user group and then SAVE it in order for that usergroup to be tied to whatever group name you want.
I understand, my point is that it always defaults to 'Administrator'

I'd like that default changed to 'Registered' because it's very easy to forget that box when you are assigning other groups for users. WAY too easy to forget and then you end up with a bunch of folks as Administrators.
(2018-11-26, 10:44 PM)lisa Wrote: [ -> ]I understand, my point is that it always defaults to 'Administrator'

I'd like that default changed to 'Registered' because it's very easy to forget that box when you are assigning other groups for users.  WAY too easy to forget and then you end up with a bunch of folks as Administrators.

Unless you know how to change the core code of MyBB, I think it's wise not to change that.

All you have to do is remember that you have to scroll the options to change to the appropriate usergroup.
I'll try to find the code, it's very important that we don't have mistakes that give people access to areas of the forums we don't want them in.

It should be easy to find the list and change the default.

To compare this to a Linux system, it would be like all users get root access by default when they are added to the system.
file => ~/admin/modules/user/users.php | Line => around 3009
$query = $db->simple_select("usergroups", "gid, title", "gid != '1'", array('order_by' => 'title'));

you can change
array('order_by' => 'title')

with
array('order_by' => 'gid')
(2018-11-27, 03:24 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]file => ~/admin/modules/user/users.php | Line => around 3009
$query = $db->simple_select("usergroups", "gid, title", "gid != '1'", array('order_by' => 'title'));

you can change
array('order_by' => 'title')

with
array('order_by' => 'gid')

Yes, but that is assuming that Guest user group is indeed GID 1, NOT if a different user group is assigned GID 1.

Just saying...
^ Guest group is not listed in the options. related condition --> "gid != '1'"