MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Super Mods access to Admin CP.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Ok so I know you can set so that Super Moderators can access Admin CP and you can disable some features so that they don't change any Forum Settings and what should only be seen by the Admin.

But say you want a Super Mod who has access to Admin CP and can edit users, which is why I personally would give a Super mod Admin CP access, so they can help other users change their settings, or Usertitles, etc.. IF They can edit users, that's means they can also change someones usergroup meaning they can edit their usergroup to Admin and have all the access in the ACP as a regular admin would.

So I was thinking of a way to disallow that. Of course a super mod mod will not do it to mess up things because if you gave him ACP access is because you trust him, BUT what if someone who really likes to mess up things, gets access into the Supermod's account, and changes a regular user to be an admin so they can change and mess up everything?

I am suggesting this because it happened on my Forum once, someone got access to a super mod's account and made tons of people admin and messed up the Forum. (Luckily I had backups)
This is just another reason why having a mod CP is so important! I am very reluctant to make anyone a Super Mod on my board for these reasons and many others. And it isn't that I don't trust anyone...I just don't want to give anyone that much power over my board. Super Mods should definitely not have the power to make anyone an admin or even a Super Mod. Maybe precautions should be put in that if anyone in the ACP tries to make changes (other than the Super Admin), that they can't give anyone authority at a level as high or higher than themselves.
You could write a plugin for that
Tikitiki Wrote:You could write a plugin for that

I think it would be better if it were to be included in mybb.
DCR Wrote:

I think it would be better if it were to be included in mybb.

Of course you think it would be. Why else would you have put it in the suggestions forum? The problem is, we have time constraints (As I've explained time and time before). Nothing you say or do would change my mind
Tikitiki Wrote:
DCR Wrote:I think it would be better if it were to be included in mybb.

Of course you think it would be. Why else would you have put it in the suggestions forum? The problem is, we have time constraints (As I've explained time and time before). Nothing you say or do would change my mind

You're not the only developer, maybe someone else who thinks this is important might be able to do it and add it on mybb.

Also,

Not everyone knows how to write plugins.
DCR Wrote:
Tikitiki Wrote:

You're not the only developer, maybe someone else who thinks this is important might be able to do it and add it on mybb.

I'm going to assume you don't know how we developers work and enlighten you.

At the beggining of each new version, we have an idea and brain storming session for a few weeks. Once we agree on a list of features to implement, we compile and finalize the list of features for that version.

Now, once we've been this far into development, the list is almost as solid as a rock - meaning that your chances of getting something not already on the list in are very slim.

A Mod CP was not included on that list. It was discussed, but there was too much controversy on how to do it and what to put in it amongst the staff to even get it into the pre-finalized stage.

DCR Wrote:Also,

As long as you have a brain, you can learn. Just like when you went to school.
Tikitiki Wrote:
DCR Wrote:
Tikitiki Wrote:

I'm going to assume you don't know how we developers work and enlighten you.

At the beggining of each new version, we have an idea and brain storming session for a few weeks. Once we agree on a list of features to implement, we compile and finalize the list of features for that version.

Now, once we've been this far into development, the list is almost as solid as a rock - meaning that your chances of getting something not already on the list in are very slim.

A Mod CP was not included on that list. It was discussed, but there was too much controversy on how to do it and what to put in it amongst the staff to even get it into the pre-finalized stage.

DCR Wrote:Also,

As long as you have a brain, you can learn. Just like when you went to school.

It's just that your attitude lately has changed. Your posts in here were pretty much telling me "We don't have time for this, it's stupid, we have a life, and why don't you do it yourself"

I simply made a thread with a suggestion I think should be included, yet your first post in this Thread was "Why don't you make a plugin for that" I was like Wahh? You're the developer. And I appreciate what you but the attitude you use toward other members is not appropriate. You respond as if we didn't know you work hard on MyBB.

Then I posted that it should be included in mybb and BAM you attacked the thread with "We have a life we don't have time for this" and then "Nothing you say or do would change my mind"

Wow. Great opinion from a lead developer in a Thread where a user is suggesting something which could help the security on MyBB.

Anyways I'm not trying to start any fight or anything but seriously you're attitude has changed.
DCR Wrote:It's just that your attitude lately has changed. Your posts in here were pretty much telling me "We don't have time for this, it's stupid, we have a life, and why don't you do it yourself"

I simply made a thread with a suggestion I think should be included, yet your first post in this Thread was "Why don't you make a plugin for that" I was like Wahh? You're the developer. And I appreciate what you but the attitude you use toward other members is not appropriate. You respond as if we didn't know you work hard on MyBB.

Then I posted that it should be included in mybb and BAM you attacked the thread with "We have a life we don't have time for this" and then "Nothing you say or do would change my mind"

Wow. Great opinion from a lead developer in a Thread where a user is suggesting something which could help the security on MyBB.

Anyways I'm not trying to start any fight or anything but seriously you're attitude has changed.

The fact of the matter is I'm tired of telling people time and time again that it won't be in 1.4 but they never freaking stop pushing and pushing and pushing and asking and asking and asking!!! I HATE giving the bad news, but I am the only one who seems to be willing to suck it up and do it in the first place (Versus disappointing everyone at the 1.4 release).

It drives me insane that people won't just shut up about it the first time I say it won't be in 1.4. I mean it when I say it!

Anyway, as I stated in another post, I've only gotten a couple hours of sleep (Didn't sleep all night, had to be up at 3 am for a 7 am flight) and I'm exhausted from the 4 hour flight home.
The problem with the mod cp is that it is a very complex thing. I personally think that it should be a plugin, but one which is developed by a group of people, working on it as a team. That way peopel could work on different features and it would be done a lot quicker.

Any volunteers? I'm prepared to do it with some people, so please contact me if you want to help.
Pages: 1 2 3