MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Banning users from all but one country
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

We are considering to set up a MyBB forum on our website , and I have a question about it. We have a very clear target audience that is limited to only one country. So essential we would want to have a forum that is not accessible for users outside of this specific country. Is there a way to ban users from all other countries?

Thank you for any clarifications! Lightbulb
(2018-11-30, 10:28 AM)ThomasLeirvaag Wrote: [ -> ]Hi!

We are considering to set up a MyBB forum on our website , and I have a question about it. We have a very clear target audience that is limited to only one country. So essential we would want to have a forum that is not accessible for users outside of this specific country. Is there a way to ban users from all other countries?

Try out Cloudflare. 

The free online version is limited to a number of countries, but if you get the paid online version, you can get a lot more countries that you can ban.
Couldn't you also use .htaccess "deny all" and then add the ip addresses for you country to allow? Am I under thinking it?
(2018-11-30, 02:50 PM)AOR Wrote: [ -> ]Couldn't you also use .htaccess "deny all" and then add the ip addresses for you country to allow?  Am I under thinking it?

Yes, because let's say for example, you only wanted USA IP addresses to be permitted for your website...

Do you realize how MANY IP addresses are for USA? A LOT... I mean... A LOT!

The .htaccess method would not work for countries that have a lot of IPs delegated to it.
(2018-11-30, 11:34 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-11-30, 10:28 AM)ThomasLeirvaag Wrote: [ -> ]Hi!

Try out Cloudflare. 

The free online version is limited to a number of countries, but if you get the paid online version, you can get a lot more countries that you can ban.

Thank you for the responses! We will try out Cloudfare on our website and see how it goes. Hopefully that could be a good solution Smile