MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Pure Water
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:The MyBB SOFTWARE is licensed as a single product. Its component parts may not be separated for use on more than one computer

If you're going to heavily mod MyBB, I would presume you're going to keep certain components or constituents of MyBB and add in your own bulk of code. I'm pretty sure you can't do that.

Quote:All title and copyrights in and to the MyBB SOFTWARE(including but not limited to any images, photographs, animations, video, audio, music, text, and "applets" incorporated into the MyBB SOFTWARE), the accompanying materials, and any copies of the MyBB SOFTWARE are owned by MyBulletinBoard. The MyBB SOFTWARE is protected by copyright laws and international treaty provisions. Therefore, you must treat the MyBB SOFTWARE like any other copyrighted material.

If you didn't code it all, you can't write it as your own.

You can build a forum system from scratch and base it off MyBB (look and feel, and some functionality), but you can't take chunks of code from MyBB and just fill in the blank with your own set of codes.

http://www.mybboard.com/eula.html
Ah... I was going to put " - based on MyBB"
So... I suppose I just throw this down the drain? Damn.
* r3sp4wn wonders how IF did it
IPB may have had a more different EULA than MyBB. As I also believed, they had their copy of IPB licensed and registered to them. So, they had to pay some money to have the rights to fully modify the code to their own taste. The owner of Invisionfree also had some special ties with the creator of IPB (Matt Mecham)
:$ So it's the throw in the towel case then?
Well, it's a bit bold of someone completely new from MyBB to just ask if they could take someones work, slap on theirs and give a subtle copyright to the original author.

I'm sure there is a possibility that I could be wrong, but since I got this from the EULA, it's rather unusual if Chris didn't stick with it and let you do it. But, there is a chance I may have mis-interpreted the EULA..you never know Wink
Cory Wrote:Well, it's a bit bold of someone completely new from MyBB to just ask if they could take someones work, slap on theirs and give a subtle copyright to the original author.

I'm sure there is a possibility that I could be wrong, but since I got this from the EULA, it's rather unusual if Chris didn't stick with it and let you do it. But, there is a chance I may have mis-interpreted the EULA..you never know Wink
Lol @ bold... but yeah, you're right. I'm not THAT new to MyBB but this account is. I'll check through the EULA.
Edit: Checked the EULA, I'm not in violation of any (I'm not distributing COMPONENTS of it on more than one machine) terms except this one:
Quote:Reproduction and Distribution
Reproduction and Distribution. You may not reproduce or distribute the MyBB SOFTWARE for any reason with out express written consent from the entire MyBulletinBoard seat holding Admin Board.
Express written consent please? Toungue
So, I ask again... should I throw in the towel or is there hope?
Originally, I was under the impression that this would simply be a free hosting service.

However, if you're planning on modifying the MyBB source code and distributing it as a different product, then this is against the EULA as others have stated, and therefore would not be allowed.

Sorry.
Ok then... a mod can delete this.
Pages: 1 2