MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Ip Saving
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, here in Europe have inserted the GDPR and that prohibits me to save user ip's. How can I deactivate the storage of IP's?
GDPR doesn't prohibit you from storing user IP addresses. GDPR considers IP addresses as personal data. That's all.
By us it is called DSGVO in the European union and it is forbidden to save ip's so far that i know
It's not forbidden. You shouldn't store user IP addresses unless you need to. That applies to any user data, regardless of the law. Storing IP addresses for the general operation of the forum (user sessions, detecting ban evaders, etc.) is perfectly legal under EU law.
(2019-01-15, 06:57 PM)NormalJordan Wrote: [ -> ]By us it is called DSGVO in the European union and it is forbidden to save ip's so far that i know

It is forbidden to collect these data without the users' knowledge and without declaring why and how the data is collected.
What you need is their consent, usually by having DSGVO declarations in your site's imprint (Impressum).
IP addresses are only stored in the database for security purposes. For example:

- Multiple accounts and serious offenses which requires a user ban. Banning an IP would ban the user from creating multiple accounts after the ban or check for registration abuse.

- Community safety. If a user commits a crime on your forum and you need this information to report to the authority for tracking and safety purposes.

IP addresses are public information anyways. I think saving a list of the IP addresses would be forbidden and strange. If the IP addresses are stored in the site's database, admin control panel, and moderation control panel. You are okay. Generally, almsot all websites require a user database has IP addresses stored on them. You have no worries.