MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What kind of website doesn't use cookies?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This thread is drastically off-topic now and getting a little too heated IMO.

Can we try and stick to the topic of the OP please? Or do I need to intervene? Rolleyes
(2019-01-18, 02:09 PM)Michael2014 Wrote: [ -> ]What kind of website doesn't use cookies?

And why do U.S based websites have a cookie warning?

1] A kind of webiste (static or dynamic) which doesn't need statistics, logins, etc, and any type of data to be stored in a cookie (ol' times self-made web sites, before Google).

2]
Quote:In March 2018 the new General Data Protection Regulation came into force, and with it the way in which companies treat data changed drastically. It also applies to US businesses, because it applies to the location of the person browsing your site, rather than the location of your site itself.

More info here
What "kind" of website not using cookies would be pure html website.
It would have no scripts and probably be pure informational or graphic.
(2019-01-23, 08:26 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-01-22, 10:11 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]When an unethical hacker is attempting to steal money from a legitimate website by using tactics that are deemed illegal, the courts will see this as clear evidence of 'fraud by deception'. The payment processor will see this the same way as well

Nope. Chargebacks happen for a range of reasons. It does not, and will not necessarily mean that it's an 'unethical hacker', or whatever you choose to call them. The payment provider is just the middle man.

For example (god bless Australia), if you promised me something in your premium membership which was "Not as described", after attempting to contact you, I would initiate a chargeback, with the full expectation that my premium membership is revoked; that's the right thing to do. I am exercising my rights under the Australian Consumer Law, which, as someone providing a service to someone in Australia, you are bound to.

Please continue believing that you know it all, because you're being absolutely thrashed here and I'm having a ball watching it from a distance.

Australian law is very different from USA law. 

Never stated that I knew it all. Stop making accusations that you can't prove.
Sir Serpius, thank you for your passionate, and well thought out self perspectives.

And Everyone else, I really appreciate you all lending your feedback on this discussion, and as I bring discussion back to the point, which is, what kind of website doesn't use cookies, interestingly enough, I guess there are examples of websites that actually don't use cookies, because you see, the point, or the underlying point was the EU law, imo, it seems absolutely redundant to have to have a warning on homepages, but then it gets even worse, when you have American websites using the cookie warning. To me, the whole entire thing seems absolutely ridiculous.
(2019-01-24, 12:13 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]Australian law is very different from USA law. 

Yes.

The Australian Consumer Law applies to anyone conducting business in Australia (read: anyone taking Australian dollars - exchanged to USD or otherwise - in exchange for goods or a service). It would apply in the instance you are referring.
(2019-01-23, 01:52 PM)NoRules Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-01-18, 02:09 PM)Michael2014 Wrote: [ -> ]What kind of website doesn't use cookies?

1] A kind of webiste (static or dynamic) which doesn't need statistics, logins, etc, and any type of data to be stored in a cookie (ol' times self-made web sites, before Google).

2]
Quote:In March 2018 the new General Data Protection Regulation came into force, and with it the way in which companies treat data changed drastically. It also applies to US businesses, because it applies to the location of the person browsing your site, rather than the location of your site itself.

More info here

I'd vote this to be the BEST answer/post to this whole thread... mine included.

F.Y.I., I already have included the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), even though technically my website is based in the USA and is not required to have this on their websites, I put that in there for my users who hail from any European Union country that is enforcing this GDPR.

(2019-01-23, 09:17 AM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]This thread is drastically off-topic now and getting a little too heated IMO.

Can we try and stick to the topic of the OP please? Or do I need to intervene? Rolleyes

I recommend that you split this thread into two threads.

Leave this one in...

Create the 2nd one as... 'Privacy vs Unethical Hacking'.

That's my take on this.

I recommend this... 2nd Thread Starts Here with the exception of the last posting.
(2019-01-24, 02:14 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-01-23, 01:52 PM)NoRules Wrote: [ -> ]

2]

More info here

I'd vote this to be the BEST answer/post to this whole thread... mine included.

F.Y.I., I already have included the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), even though technically my website is based in the USA and is not required to have this on their websites, I put that in there for my users who hail from any European Union country that is enforcing this GDPR.

(2019-01-23, 09:17 AM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]This thread is drastically off-topic now and getting a little too heated IMO.

I recommend that you split this thread into two threads.

Leave this one in...

Create the 2nd one as... 'Privacy vs Unethical Hacking'.

That's my take on this.

I recommend this... 2nd Thread Starts Here with the exception of the last posting.

Privacy policy is within topic because that is where a cookies warning belongs, we can attach the hacking aspect as a branch to the topic but not make it the main point of the thread, but to lend perspective on the ideas at hand. Now, I'm not quite sure what you mean by Unethical Hacking because no hacking is ethical, okay, and to draw a line from the title to the point of the discussion, what kind of website does not use cookies? So if these new rules apply to U.S based websites, then who inforces these rules?Please tell who are the people who enforce cookie rules in the u.s? Thank you.
No country is going to enforce other's country laws as long as such countries wish to keep their sovereignty.

What happens instead are legal agreements between nations to assist in any cases worth the other's nation enough attention.
I don't think there's a website doesn't use the cookie, every website should claim how they use the cookie and why.
Pages: 1 2 3