MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: many problems with new upgrade (latest 1.8)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
New post .. Had issues with an upgrade from 1.6 to 1.8.   Was able to finally get the forum back on line.  Now we have a ton of new issues with this most recent upgrade.  

Our whole forum GUI is changed, and many of the plugins are no longer compatible.  But I guess I should start with the first issue. 

Our logins no longer work like they did.   I used to log in to www.myurl.com/forum/   and be greeted with a proper log in screen.  Now all we get is a blank screen.  However if I log in with www.myurl.com/forum/index.php I then get the normal log in screen to fill in.   Is this some kind of cookie or security issue with the new version?   There is what looks like a "new" item that I think was installed with the new update involving some sort of spam protection.  

We have a lot of other issues, but at this time I just want to get the login procedure set for the users.
forum url & test user account are required so that someone can check referred issue.
The forum url is www.w1nrg.com/forum/ Not sure what I need to set up test user account. Should I do that with a secure email ?
‌^ you can use a dummy email account & activate the testing user account
(assuming that admin panel is working fine)

looks like there is a index.html (or index.htm) file at the forum folder
delete that file or rename it as index1.html so that direct forum url works

Edit:
your forum's themes should be updated to make them compatible with recent versions of MyBB.
updating existing themes could be a tedious process. instead it would be better to install & use a
theme compatible with recent versions of MyBB

[MyBB Themes at Extend section]
(2019-01-19, 05:35 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]‌^ you can use a dummy email account & activate the testing user account

Edit:
your forum's themes  should  be updated to make them compatible with recent versions of MyBB.
updating existing themes could be a tedious process. instead it would be better to install & use a

Thanks for the quick response.   I see now that our main problem is that we were running a very old version of the MyBB and just about everything in our old installation is now out-dated and won't work with the latest version.   I will just have to install a theme that is compatible with this new version.   Unfortunately our old setup has been running for many years and has a lot of customization and plug-ins added. 

So I'll have to spend some time finding something that will close to the old "classic" theme we had but still able to run upgraded or new versions of the plug-ins.   Sigh .. gonna be a long weekend I guess.   Thanks for your help .. I'll probably be back with more questions as I go forward so I'll keep this thread open.
(2019-01-19, 03:50 PM)Rich A Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-01-19, 05:35 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]‌^ you can use a dummy email account & activate the testing user account

Edit:
your forum's themes  should  be updated to make them compatible with recent versions of MyBB.

Thanks for the quick response.   I see now that our main problem is that we were running a very old version of the MyBB and just about everything in our old installation is now out-dated and won't work with the latest version.   I will just have to install a theme that is compatible with this new version.   Unfortunately our old setup has been running for many years and has a lot of customization and plug-ins added. 

So I'll have to spend some time finding something that will close to the old "classic" theme we had but still able to run upgraded or new versions of the plug-ins.   Sigh .. gonna be a long weekend I guess.   Thanks for your help .. I'll probably be back with more questions as I go forward so I'll keep this thread open.

The plugins should not have any effect on the theme.

Try this THEME and see how it looks.

Then... try out the plugins and see how that looks, too.

Maybe, it's possible that you need to upgrade the AdminCP theme as well. Try this AdminCP Theme.

Report back to us on the status when you have installed the new themes.
(2019-01-19, 04:03 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-01-19, 03:50 PM)Rich A Wrote: [ -> ]

Edit:

The plugins should not have any effect on the theme.

Try this THEME and see how it looks.

Then... try out the plugins and see how that looks, too.

Maybe, it's possible that you need to upgrade the AdminCP theme as well. Try this AdminCP Theme.

Report back to us on the status when you have installed the new themes.

Thanks .. I'll check your suggestions on the theme.   I really appreciate the help ..
The new theme works fine and is very similar to the old one.  Thanks .. I've got a LOT of adjusting and editing to do.  Haven't had to do any of that for several years.. So I'm going to spend some time re-learning how to put all those plug ins, extra codes etc. back in place.   I'm an old guy (in my 70's ) and afraid some of my brain cells have sorta of retired, (like me).   Wink

Looking for the PHP code? to work on different areas of the forum GUI.  Changing base color, putting the club logo back on the header, chat mode, side bar, scrolling announcements etc.  Lot's of stuff.   So I'll be busy.  I'll check back here with a new thread looking for help if needed.   Many thanks to everyone getting our forum back up.  

Rich A
(2019-01-20, 09:12 PM)Rich A Wrote: [ -> ]The new theme works fine and is very similar to the old one.  Thanks .. I've got a LOT of adjusting and editing to do.  Haven't had to do any of that for several years.. So I'm going to spend some time re-learning how to put all those plug ins, extra codes etc. back in place.   I'm an old guy (in my 70's ) and afraid some of my brain cells have sorta of retired, (like me).   Wink

Looking for the PHP code? to work on different areas of the forum GUI.  Changing base color, putting the club logo back on the header, chat mode, side bar, scrolling announcements etc.  Lot's of stuff.   So I'll be busy.  I'll check back here with a new thread looking for help if needed.   Many thanks to everyone getting our forum back up.  

Rich A

Don't fret about your age! I'm 61 and still learning about all of this PHP and CSS stuff.

Anyways...

I highly recommend this PLUGIN to make your editing of CSS that much easier. 
Also, using this PLUGIN can make your life a bit easier, so that you don't have to use the FTP/SFTP software to do some editing.
Thanks for the utilities !!  I'll check them out.  Been working on the forum and got a lot of it re-configured.  Seems that the more I do, the more familiar everything gets.  Been a good time to hole up in the house and play with this stuff.  Temperature outside this morning was minus 7 degrees F.  Sad   

The support from this Mybb forum is outstanding.  Because of it, I'm a pretty happy camper .. albeit .. cold ... 

- Rich A