MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Best Operating System for MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2019-01-21, 04:26 PM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]I think it's irresponsible to recommend shared hosting in general. Many shared hosts do not keep their software versions updated in a timely matter - or at all in some cases. There are shared hosts still running PHP 5.4 out there!

Do your homework, contact a host and ask them what version they're using before you purchase their hosting if you must use shared.

If you opt to use a VPS, go for Ubuntu 18.04 (good for beginners or those new to *nix servers), or Debian 9 if you're willing to cope with a slight learning curve.

(2019-01-21, 04:29 PM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-01-21, 04:26 PM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]I think it's irresponsible to recommend shared hosting in general. Many shared hosts do not keep their software versions updated in a timely matter - or at all in some cases. There are shared hosts still running PHP 5.4 out there!

Do your homework, contact a host and ask them what version they're using before you purchase their hosting if you must use shared.

If you opt to use a VPS, go for Ubuntu 18.04 (good for beginners or those new to *nix servers), or Debian 9 if you're willing to cope with a slight learning curve.

Honestly not all shared host do that, generalization is a bad thing but VPS will always give more control to user.
There is nothing wrong in recommending shared host actually because lot of general webmasters don't even have knowledge to secure there VPS and optimize it. Smile

There is some truth about the fact that some hosting companies are notorious for NOT updating their software such as PHP. I've been there and was disappointed in those 2 former hosting companies that I was with before.

To make a "blanket" statement that ALL hosting companies are slow to upgrade their software is not good and shouldn't be stated without strong facts to back that up.

For me... it was more of an issue of not having 100% control of the backside of my website.

I've always felt that I was under the "mercy" of the hosting website and that never gave me 100% confidence of that hosting company regardless of their reputation. 

As some may know from reading a number of threads regarding the issue of 'Strict Mode' being on, which prevents some plugins from working properly and the rationale from some of those hosting companies are using 'network security' as their reason to use 'Strict Mode' and quite honestly, that pisses me off and that logic doesn't hold much weight with me.

Now, I have switched to VPS (read this POST) and after a few hiccups, the website is loading faster and smoother than before. Oh, yea... no need to worry about the 'Strict Mode' being enabled because... well... I won't allow it.   Angry

Makes me wish that I had switched to VPS sooner.  Rolleyes 

Oh... to keep this post on topic...

I am using Ubuntu 16.04.

If the CPanel server is configured correctly, the client can choose a PHP version.

That said, I'd counter-argue it's irresponsible to recommend a VPS to someone who has no clue how to manage it.
Thanks all.  Great responses so far.  

I'm looking at HawkHost's 1GB Shared Cloud plan to start, and if worth it, the cPanel add-on.  I'm fairly savvy and willing to learn, but honest about starting fresh with coding & setup.  Note that my roomie is an IT service techie and is actually interested in cracking open a few of his books again for a few of these OS's. He's never done a forum and not a site builder by trade, mostly various comp. troubleshooting.  

I'll give HawkHost a call & ask a few questions incl access/control, php updating, etc. 

If curious, here's this plan's basic specs:
https://my.hawkhost.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0

I don't foresee needing a VPS at this point, pending how this goes, but Hawk (appears at least) to be easily upgradable with their cloud packages as well pending the need for more bandwidth/storage?  

I have several questions, but won't clog this specific thread with tangents.  I try to do my homework before posting anew.
Pages: 1 2