MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Best Operating System for MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Per the title.  I'm a newb in starting my own forum.  No results from search on here.

Going with HawkHost shared cloud.  Which OS should I roll with??

[Image: 2rn1m8.jpg]via Imgflip Meme Generator

CentOS by default...worth it for this cPanel add-on??

Not sure about their "LiteSpeed Web Server" add-on for $26/yr. Might be a higher priority upgrade??

Thanks in advance for your input.
any linux based OS works fine. you can use the first shown CentOS 7.6
Go with shared hosting. It's cheaper, doesn't require you to manage the server, and usually comes with cPanel included.
(2019-01-21, 09:13 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Go with shared hosting.

This. If you've never heard of Linux before, it's best you use shared hosting.
cPanel makes a lot of things easy.
(2019-01-21, 04:26 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]any linux based OS works fine. you can use the first shown CentOS 7.6

Same preference here. I usually don't ubuntu for MyBB but there is no problem with ubuntu Smile
Cpanel based hosting is usually best with most of the cases.
I think it's irresponsible to recommend shared hosting in general. Many shared hosts do not keep their software versions updated in a timely matter - or at all in some cases. There are shared hosts still running PHP 5.4 out there!

Do your homework, contact a host and ask them what version they're using before you purchase their hosting if you must use shared.

If you opt to use a VPS, go for Ubuntu 18.04 (good for beginners or those new to *nix servers), or Debian 9 if you're willing to cope with a slight learning curve.
(2019-01-21, 04:26 PM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]I think it's irresponsible to recommend shared hosting in general. Many shared hosts do not keep their software versions updated in a timely matter - or at all in some cases. There are shared hosts still running PHP 5.4 out there!

Do your homework, contact a host and ask them what version they're using before you purchase their hosting if you must use shared.

If you opt to use a VPS, go for Ubuntu 18.04 (good for beginners or those new to *nix servers), or Debian 9 if you're willing to cope with a slight learning curve.

Honestly not all shared host do that, generalization is a bad thing but VPS will always give more control to user.
There is nothing wrong in recommending shared host actually because lot of general webmasters don't even have knowledge to secure there VPS and optimize it. Smile
If you are new to server maintenance, I will recommend a managed VPS. It is costly, but a new person could leave a lot of security holes behind.
(2019-01-21, 04:26 PM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]I think it's irresponsible to recommend shared hosting in general. Many shared hosts do not keep their software versions updated in a timely matter - or at all in some cases. There are shared hosts still running PHP 5.4 out there!

And if you don't know how to manage/upgrade/secure a server you can easily end up with an outdated ISO installed or any number of misconfigurations or bad practices. OP's forum is more likely to be hacked due to a weak SSH (or admin) password or misconfigured NGINX config than running an older version of PHP. It's irresponsible to teach people to run before they can walk. Shared hosting is fine for most people. Not everyone is a sysadmin.
Pages: 1 2