MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Plugins ignoring permissions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Version 1.8.18
PHP version 7.1.25

I'm uncertain if this is a bug or just a bad feature overall. I will admit. But I'm uncertain where to post this otherwise as I consider this not an error on the plugins part, nor do I inherently consider this a security issue. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Many years ago I used a most-recent-threads plugin that displayed that there were threads posted in a hidden forum category. This was not meant to happen of course, but "reasonable". Users could not read the threads anyway. Regardless, I disabled this plugin.

I am now using the Advanced Sidebox (3.1.16) plugin's Latest Threads module and it somehow can completely ignore any permissions set in the ACP. It not only shows the threads from the forums that only moderators are permitted to view, but it also allows another user group to bypass the reading and posting permission restrictions when clicking the links in the sidebox. The only way to disallow this is to hide the forums altogether from the module-view.

This straight down should not be possible to do, not for any plugin or plugin author. Surely?  Undecided
Hi,

I haven't experienced any of these issues before. I am really busy right now and have already promised to help another user with an issue this evening, but if you will contact me on Discord, perhaps I can find time to give it a look.

One thing for you to check: if multiple plugins are having issues following your permissions, is it possible that your forum permissions aren't set correctly? Are you considering display group and additional groups? ASB checks all of a user's groups in almost every case.

I'm not trying to shift the blame— just want to make sure there isn't an issue on your forum before I drive myself crazy trying to figure things out.
(2019-01-23, 08:48 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I haven't experienced any of these issues before. I am really busy right now and have already promised to help another user with an issue this evening, but if you will contact me on Discord, perhaps I can find time to give it a look.

One thing for you to check: if multiple plugins are having issues following your permissions, is it possible that your forum permissions aren't set correctly? Are you considering display group and additional groups? ASB checks all of a user's groups in almost every case.

I'm not trying to shift the blame— just want to make sure there isn't an issue on your forum before I drive myself crazy trying to figure things out.

Hi there,

No worries, and I understand. I'd rather find if there's an issue on my forum's part and be proven wrong in situations like these. I wasn't even expecting help to look deeper into it.

My Discord handle is Zarkaylia#2213 for when you have time (I can't find yours atm).

Other than that; I don't mess much with giving users multiple user groups, they all are in the one they should be in and use their primary one as display group. I had two users who were accidentally wrong, but neither of them has been active for years and weren't of those that reported the issue to me.
Permissions are a problematic issue. Often, plugin authors forget something to check for.
(2019-01-23, 08:48 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

(2019-01-23, 09:16 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Permissions are a problematic issue. Often, plugin authors forget something to check for.

Have permissions in any way changed over the past 6 years? All of it seems to work now and what I've done is...

1) Deactivated and reactivated the plugin.
2) Re-defined EVERY permission. I went through all the users and re-saved their permissions (thank you MyBB for multi-select).

My forum is just about 6 years old and has gone through multiple versions. If enough has changed could this cause the problem?
I won't be surprised 6 year old forums getting this kind of issues. Yes, the permission and settings system have received multiple updates over the past 6 years.
(2019-01-23, 10:05 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]I won't be surprised 6 year old forums getting this kind of issues. Yes, the permission and settings system have received multiple updates over the past 6 years.

I'm not surprised either I'll admit, hence I at all decided to go through all the permissions and users for a re-save/redefine. It's likely then that the issue was caused by very aged permissions that weren't compatible with a newer plugin, I guess.