MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Things needed to run Mybb in VPS or Dedicated Server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2019-02-20, 12:06 PM)vk_knight Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-02-20, 10:21 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-02-20, 09:28 AM)vk_knight Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-02-20, 09:17 AM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-02-20, 03:48 AM)vk_knight Wrote: [ -> ]I just didn't understand the cache server portion. What's it utility apart from speeding up I guess? Its necessary?

Cache server is optional as I said - it's a lot better to use something like memcached for your forum's cache instead of putting that unnecessary load on the database (the default cache storage location in MyBB). Nice to have but certainly not required.

You might also want to consider how you send emails from a VPS too. Unless you want the task of maintaining a mail server too (and all the caveats that come with that such as blacklists and IP reputation) you'll need to consider offloading your email to external SMTP services.

Thanks for the advice. I will tell to look into that too.

Since, I am learning Linux, so can I PM you some time to ask some queries myself? Will that be okay?

Speaking of external email services that allow you to keep your website name in the email address, such as mine, [email protected], consider using Zoho.com external email service.
It's cheap and reliable. 

Along with that, I highly recommend using an external nameserver service as well. 
This prevents your nameservers being "controlled" by a hosting service, which may charge expensive fees.
I recommend NameSilo.com for this.

By moving those 2 services to external sources gives you the freedom to switch hosting or VPS providers without having to switch those 2 services all over again and again.

Helpful as always. Thanks Serpius.

As I know that you are using VPS, so are you doing all the work yourself or you have a managed host?

Take a look at this posting of mine HERE. This details what I have.

kawaii did a great job migrating my entire website to the new VPS. He's worth every penny for this service. 
kawaii's service thread is in the same post link as above.

I take care of the daily stuff, which I can do through my AdminCP and/or FTP client. I have only touched the Adminer a few times for backup purposes.

I hope this answers your questions regarding VPS. 

It's a different way of doing things compared to managed hosting, but using your own VPS, you have more freedom (in my opinion) in running your own website without silly constraints that many hosting companies impose.
I haven't heard of RamNode before. But their offers surely looks great.
Pages: 1 2