MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What is the difference between thread subject and post subject?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is the difference between thread subject and post subject, for example, how can a post have a post subject but not a thread subject, or vise versa?
I think there are two difference in this :-
1. Re: is added in post subject
2. Post subject is more useful in threaded mode since it will give better information regarding the post. But usually it is not used in many cases.
(2019-02-21, 03:44 AM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]I think there are two difference in this :-
2. Post subject is more useful in threaded mode since it will give better information regarding the post. But usually it is not used in many cases.

That is an often misunderstood concept of any content management software.

Thread Subject is usually the title of the very first post in the thread - i.e. "What is the difference between thread subject and post subject?"

Subsequent responses or comments to that first post are simply called posts and normally do not have post titles. 

You can try to change the title, but it will not change because it's not the FIRST post, thus, even if you did change it... it will automatically revert back to the thread subject title. 

Look at the screenshot...

[Image: 2a2bb298b77d9ce98d6e5d494fa1c42d.png]
(2019-02-21, 07:01 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-02-21, 03:44 AM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]I think there are two difference in this :-

Thread Subject is usually the title of the very first post in the thread - i.e. "What is the difference between thread subject and post subject?"

Subsequent responses or comments to that first post are simply called posts and normally do not have post titles. 

You can try to change the title, but it will not change because it's not the FIRST post, thus, even if you did change it... it will automatically revert back to the thread subject title. 

OP is saying the difference in Thread and Post titile.
Everyone knows thread title and post tile but he wants to know the difference in the post title and thread title. I stated that, please reread my post.
(2019-02-21, 08:40 AM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-02-21, 07:01 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]

OP is saying the difference in Thread and Post titile.
Everyone knows thread title and post tile but he wants to know the difference in the post title and thread title. I stated that, please reread my post.

Hmm... no...

He stated in the title... 'Subject', not title.
(2019-02-21, 03:12 AM)Michael2014 Wrote: [ -> ]What is the difference between thread subject and post subject, for example, how can a post have a post subject but not a thread subject, or vise versa?

A thread subject will always exist because of the join on tid. Post subject is usually the thread title potentially with an Re: in front. It can be completely different though if a user goes to full reply instead of quick reply. If you are interested in how it works you can find the function build_postbit in the inc/functions_post.php file.
The difference is that post subjects are redundant.
(2019-02-21, 11:12 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]The difference is that post subjects are redundant.

Yes, that's my view as well.
I feel threaded mode is too outdated and not worth it.
I suppose post subjects could be useful if you use a forum as kind of a wiki, then posts could be used to handle pieces of information separately, it could be useful to control permissions, features, and whatnot on a per portion (of information) basis (while displaying it on kinda like threated and linear views merged) while posts subjects would be useful to visually bookmark content.

But overall, yes, unless really necessary for specific forums they they end up being quite superflous. We even have them hidden here in the official community.