MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Properly switching domain names for my forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Before posting this I did a search on the forum and read about changing the board urls/cookie url in my inc/settings.php file and making changes in the ACP to my board URL and went ahead and did so. The domain I want to use is pointing to my server but when I use the domain to access my site its like I get an old cached version. And, I can still access my forum on the test domain I want to ditch. 

The articles I read are a couple years old, can someone give me an updated tip? thanks
You can flush your DNS with 'flushdns' command as this seems like an issue with DNS not getting updated.

Also check if DNS migration of your new domain is complete by browsing it through a different device/browser. Another thing you can do is modify the hosts file, modification of that depends on the OS that you are using. You can google it easily like "Modification of hosts file on OS"
(2019-02-25, 02:57 AM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]You can flush your DNS with 'flushdns' command as this seems like an issue with DNS not getting updated.

Also check if DNS migration of your new domain is complete by browsing it through a different device/browser. Another thing you can do is modify the hosts file, modification of that depends on the OS that you are using. You can google it easily like "Modification of hosts file on OS"

I tried to flushdns and it didn't help and I don't know if this is the issue. I changed domain name in /settings.php and in the admin CP but the site still works on the old domain at the same time works on the new domain I want to use. So weird and I just got to get it fixed
(2019-02-25, 03:10 AM)/r/ Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-02-25, 02:57 AM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]You can flush your DNS with 'flushdns' command as this seems like an issue with DNS not getting updated.

I tried to flushdns and it didn't help and I don't know if this is the issue. I changed domain name in /settings.php and in the admin CP but the site still works on the old domain at the same time works on the new domain I want to use. So weird and I just got to get it fixed

I not a expert here. But it sounds like that your domain isn't transferred successfully.

Did you check your .htaccess file?

If the old domain/address is still in the .htaccess file, then that needs to be changed to the new one. Otherwise, the .htaccess is forcing the logins to the old address.
(2019-02-25, 07:24 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]

Did you check your .htaccess file?

If the old domain/address is still in the .htaccess file, then that needs to be changed to the new one. Otherwise, the .htaccess is forcing the logins to the old address.

That wasn't the issue but I did check it. 

I ended up switching to a better host and just copied all my files and imported a backup and pointed my new domain to my site and everything worked. I made changes to settings and config before uploading to my new host