MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Security update breaks the whole theme & customization
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The security release 1.8.20 breaks the whole theme & customization of my forum and I have to delete everything. Thank god I took the backup of database and the whole forum before upgrading. But, if every fix does the same thing then it will be very difficult to continue with MyBB. I don't use a nulled script that's why I am using MyBB. The developers should keep it in mind that the security release or any stable release (except the major version changes like 1.x to 2.x) should not mess with most of the existing themes and plugins so that the forum owners don't face any problem like me OR the developers should release the major solutions like login button problem, login problem etc. along with the releases. For this they should test the release with every known problem before finally releasing it. The developers should keep in mind that users should not be sufferer.
Quote:For this they should test the release with every known problem before finally releasing it.

1.8.20 ran through over a month of testing and invited everyone to participate - see https://community.mybb.com/thread-221648.html

But testing requires testers, those who are actually able to identify problems.

"delete everything" is rarely the correct approach to identifying and solving problems.

you haven't told anyone the specifics of your problem so no one else is able to help you either.

so not only are you unable to administer your own forum, you don't even know how to ask for help properly.
(2019-03-01, 09:59 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:For this they should test the release with every known problem before finally releasing it.

[quote='frostschutz' pid='1325209' dateline='1551434396']

1.8.20 ran through over a month of testing and invited everyone to participate  - see https://community.mybb.com/thread-221648.html

It is very unfortunate that after 1 month of run (though I didn't know about it as I have joined the community only a few days ago) no one able to see the problem which I found just after upgrading. Yes, you can say it is my fault that I did not post it here on that moment. Anyway, after upgrading, almost all the 1.8x or 1.8.x themes are giving problem mainly in login section. In some, login buttons are not working, in some, authorization error. I have found the solution for authorization error, but for non-responsing login buttons.... no, I could not found the solution. Some plugins, like 'Settings Cleaner' are not working and on activation gives a blank page. I would say, these all are the problem of the release because, if a release makes a total forum unstable, then there are some serious issues in that build. And if, after every upgradation, the forum becomes down for few days till someone posts a solution or people have to devote all their time to find a solution, then the software's future will be in big problem. People may say that this is a free software, so people build it at their leisure time, then I would like to say, what about Joomla? It is also a FREE software. It has free plugins, it has free themes and it's support is also community driven. So, it is similar to MyBB. Then how come it became the #1 CMS in the world in every aspect? I should not give my opinion on this or my account may get banned. Smile

(2019-03-01, 09:59 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]so not only are you unable to administer your own forum, you don't even know how to ask for help properly.

Look friend, you don't know me, I don't know you. So, whether I can able to administer my forum or not, that is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. If I don't know how to ask for help 'PROPERLY', then I should tell you that, I don't know what you 'contribute', but you don't know how to do it 'PROPERLY'. Because , you people should test it first for any glitch, then comes the beta testers. Anyway, with my humble request, I would request you to end this topic here and not to judge other people who might have achieved more things than you in life.
The system isn't perfect, it is true.

When template changes are required as part of an update, this can cause issues for themes, and as you've discovered, break things. Unfortunately, this is unavoidable. We don't want to break your theme, but you must understand that sometimes it is necessary to update the templates and JavaScript.

Here are some tips to making all of this easier on yourself.

Install MAMP or some other local PHP-equipped host.

Use a backup of your forum to install an exact copy of your forum on your local system. (If you've never done this before, you may want to try just installing a new copy of MyBB 1.8.20 locally as practice.)

Now that you have a practice copy of your forum, perform the upgrade. Immediately after the upgrade, you will need to see the templates that were affected by the upgrade. You can find guidance on that part here (Read down a bit)

This is a very important step. To add to the info I linked, I'll give you my approach.

I get the diff report open in one tab and then edit the template in the other tab. As I figure out what parts I need to update, I make the edits and when I am done, I save the template and move on.

If you have issues on the local copy, then obviously you can do that much more easily on a local copy, rather than messing about with a live site.

If everything goes correctly, then you can feel good about performing the upgrade on your live forum.

I'm sorry you are having problems. Just trying to help.
(2019-03-01, 03:05 PM)DarKMaSk Wrote: [ -> ]Anyway, after upgrading, almost all the 1.8x or 1.8.x themes are giving problem mainly in login section. In some, login buttons are not working, in some, authorization error.

Updating customized templates has always been a manual process, at most MyBB can assist by pointing out differences.

https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/upgrade/ Wrote:   Go to Admin CP > Templates & Style > Templates > Find Updated Templates. This will show you a list of all the templates that have changed during the upgrade.

You can either revert these templates to their default - meaning all the changes you’ve made to it will be removed - or you can see a Diff Report which will show you exactly what’s changed. If you have a custom theme installed, it is probably best that you look at the Diff Report and apply the changes you need.

This process of course requires you to have some basic understanding about HTML/CSS/PHP (Template Variables)/how things works in general. The changes are usually simple (like adding a missing parameter). And if you still need help with that process, you can ask nicely.

(2019-03-01, 03:05 PM)DarKMaSk Wrote: [ -> ]So, whether I can able to administer my forum or not, that is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

That's right, it's your business. But you're offloading your problems and even giving 'advice' to developers and whatnot. So you are making it other people's business. Except no one will be able to help you that way, since this isn't even a problem with MyBB.
(2019-03-01, 03:36 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]The system isn't perfect, it is true.

When template changes are required as part of an update, this can cause issues for themes, and as you've discovered, break things. Unfortunately, this is unavoidable. We don't want to break your theme, but you must understand that sometimes it is necessary to update the templates and JavaScript.

Here are some tips to making all of this easier on yourself.

Install MAMP or some other local PHP-equipped host.

Use a backup of your forum to install an exact copy of your forum on your local system. (If you've never done this before, you may want to try just installing a new copy of MyBB 1.8.20 locally as practice.)

Now that you have a practice copy of your forum, perform the upgrade. Immediately after the upgrade, you will need to see the templates that were affected by the upgrade. You can find guidance on that part here (Read down a bit)

Actually I am used to Joomla. It updates from within the ACP, directly and almost never messes up with the site. At first I used to do just like you said and it is indeed a very good practice. But after few years, I stopped doing it, the cause of which I have mentioned already. Generally I use XAMP and I am very used to it and I will do it in future as you have suggested.

(2019-03-01, 03:36 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]This is a very important step. To add to the info I linked, I'll give you my approach.

I get the diff report open in one tab and then edit the template in the other tab. As I figure out what parts I need to update, I make the edits and when I am done, I save the template and move on.

If you have issues on the local copy, then obviously you can do that much more easily on a local copy, rather than messing about with a live site.

If everything goes correctly, then you can feel good about performing the upgrade on your live forum.

I'm sorry you are having problems. Just trying to help.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. I will do it as you per your guidance because your approach is very logical.

Actually, I am very fond of MyBB as this is based on phpbb, the oldest among the forum scripts. I built my first forum with phpbb about 8 years ago, not a commercial one, but I was very passionate about it as it was entirely my brainchild and it was a success till I faced a combined DDoS attack from two rival groups, one from my country and one from the neighbour country as I did not comply with their demand of changing my forums name. I got everything about them, their name, their IPs, even their Admins' home addresses, but thought not to take any action against them because that will give me nothing more than a feelings of satisfaction to my ego. Anyway, I really appreciate your help. Please accept my heartfelt gratitude.
There are many bug-by-lack-of-feature issues when it comes to extension management in MyBB, mainly upgrading (e.g. some plugins lose their setting values when updated as MyBB doesn't provide helper functions for these common operations).
A new theme management system is due in 1.9 to support the new file-based Twig templates, which might be a good opportunity to make certain things easier.
(2019-03-01, 03:37 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Updating customized templates has always been a manual process, at most MyBB can assist by pointing out differences.

Templates were not 'customized'. Those are templates from MyBB official site.

(2019-03-01, 03:37 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]
https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/upgrade/ Wrote:   Go to Admin CP > Templates & Style > Templates > Find Updated Templates. This will show you a list of all the templates that have changed during the upgrade.

You can either revert these templates to their default - meaning all the changes you’ve made to it will be removed - or you can see a Diff Report which will show you exactly what’s changed. If you have a custom theme installed, it is probably best that you look at the Diff Report and apply the changes you need.

This process of course requires you to have some basic understanding about HTML/CSS/PHP (Template Variables)/how things works in general. The changes are usually simple (like adding a missing parameter). And if you still need help with that process, you can ask nicely.

I think you haven't read my first post 'properly'. I think I have mentioned that I have solved the 'authorization error' and I couldn't do that if I would not consult the documentation.

(2019-03-01, 03:37 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-03-01, 03:05 PM)DarKMaSk Wrote: [ -> ]So, whether I can able to administer my forum or not, that is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

That's right, it's your business. But you're offloading your problems and even giving 'advice' to developers and whatnot. So you are making it other people's business.

Don't you think that developers need users' advices?! Strange!! Because as far I know, in every product, end users are the best judge. There is NO PRODUCT IN THE WORLD WHICH ARE MADE ONLY FOR THE DEVELOPERS. Developers develop things according to the users' demand and needs. They have to keep in mind about the end usrers' advice. They need it, otherwise how can they progress or know what to rectify? I would advice you to be open minded. If you can't accept peoples' criticism (obviuosly constructive and I don't think I did any 'destructive' criticism), neither you will make progress nor you will be able to make a better product. But, obviuosly it's your choice of how you will take peoples' reactions, positively or negatively. That depends upon you. I can't change your perception, if you don't want to change it.

(2019-03-01, 03:37 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Except no one will be able to help you that way, since this isn't even a problem with MyBB.

Some people already did, friend and they are very experienced one. Smile

Take my humble gratitude for giving my post some importance and taking your precious time to reply. Thank you. Smile

(2019-03-01, 04:22 PM)Devilshakerz Wrote: [ -> ]There are many bug-by-lack-of-feature issues when it comes to extension management in MyBB, mainly upgrading (e.g. some plugins lose their setting values when updated as MyBB doesn't provide helper functions for these common operations).
A new theme management system is due in 1.9 to support the new file-based Twig templates, which might be a good opportunity to make certain things easier.

That excellent! I think everybody is waiting to see that in action. Smile
Since I write extensions, I occasionally have to do updates to them to make them compatible. I get this information from users because the odds of them finding something is much higher than just me since I work full-time and go to college part-time. I was having quite a bit of issues trying to implement Mass Moderation for my extension Recent Threads On Index. I couldn't get the javascript to work with the javascript MyBB already has. That ended up forcing me to write my own, but I was able to get it working.
(2019-03-01, 04:54 PM)DarKMaSk Wrote: [ -> ]Don't you think that developers need users' advices?!

Users' "advice" would be more appreciated if done on proper time and manner.

Going on on rampant mode after something fails is not really as appreciated as it generates a lot of unnecessary work like unnecessary support requests from unexperienced users that consume resources.
Pages: 1 2