MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Post via email
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been looking for a plugin that allows you to post via email.  There have been several discussions about this issue but no resolution.

I administer two mailman mailing lists that go back 20 years or so.  I would like to archive messages to these mailing lists into MyBB with topics by subject line.  The user community likes the simplicity of the mailman mailing lists but would like the more robust archival and search functionality of MyBB.

Has anyone done this?   I really don't want to reinvent the wheel.

1. I could write a script that processes the mailman archives every night and inserts the data into the MyBB database
  2. I could subscribe a [email protected] email address to the mailman list and then use a MyBB plugin that processes this email address.
(2019-03-05, 04:53 PM)fischer Wrote: [ -> ]I have been looking for a plugin that allows you to post via email.  There have been several discussions about this issue but no resolution.

I administer two mailman mailing lists that go back 20 years or so.  I would like to archive messages to these mailing lists into MyBB with topics by subject line.  The user community likes the simplicity of the mailman mailing lists but would like the more robust archival and search functionality of MyBB.

Has anyone done this?   I really don't want to reinvent the wheel.

1. I could write a script that processes the mailman archives every night and inserts the data into the MyBB database
  2. I could subscribe a [email protected] email address to the mailman list and then use a MyBB plugin that processes this email address.

+1
I've considered working on such a plugin in the past, but I've looked at it from the viewpoint of using a service such as MailGun that supports making a HTTP request to a URL when an email is received: https://documentation.mailgun.com/en/lat...for-routes

This would probably be the easiest way of handling it. If you run your own email server, there are ways to execute a script when an email is received which could achieve much the same result.
(2019-12-15, 07:41 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]I've considered working on such a plugin in the past, but I've looked at it from the viewpoint of using a service such as MailGun that supports making a HTTP request to a URL when an email is received: https://documentation.mailgun.com/en/lat...for-routes

This would probably be the easiest way of handling it. If you run your own email server, there are ways to execute a script when an email is received which could achieve much the same result.
Because the most active users of my now almost defunct Yahoo group are still struggling with the move to MyBB and are so often requesting the ability to participate in threads via email, and consistently report dissatisfaction with the need to open a browser and log in to respond to messages, I would be happy to look at privately commissioning the development of such a plugin if you or any other developer would be willing to make this happen?
(2019-12-16, 12:11 AM)ArchPrime Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-12-15, 07:41 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]I've considered working on such a plugin in the past, but I've looked at it from the viewpoint of using a service such as MailGun that supports making a HTTP request to a URL when an email is received: https://documentation.mailgun.com/en/lat...for-routes

Because the most active users of my now almost defunct Yahoo group are still struggling with the move to MyBB and are so often requesting the ability to participate in threads via email, and consistently report dissatisfaction with the need to open a browser and log in to respond to messages, I would be happy to look at privately commissioning the development of such a plugin if you or any other developer would be willing to make this happen?
I don't have a great deal of free time, but if I get a chance, I'll have a look and see how much effort it would take and see if I get a chance.