MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can't edit existing users, other than self
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For some reason, even though I am an administrator, I am unable to edit anything associated with any user other than myself in the AdminCP/Users area.

Even if I make no changes at all, simply clicking on 'Save User' creates error message "The following errors were encountered: The username you entered already exists. Please enter a different username."

I am not sure when this issue first appeared - but last time I tried to edit a user, I had no problem - though this might have been a couple of versions ago.

I have tried verifying files and check templates  (no problems found), rebuilding all database caches, clearing browser cache, resetting all counters, optimizing database, and upgrading from version 1.9.19 to 1.9.20 then running upgrade script per installation instructions, then doing all the former things again - none of these made any difference. 

How can I sort this problem out?

I have a user standing by who has lost password and who no longer has their old registered email address, so can't do a password reset - would like to edit their profile directly to solve rather than deleting their account and telling them to start again.

Any help most appreciated
(2019-04-15, 09:48 AM)ArchPrime Wrote: [ -> ]For some reason, even though I am an administrator, I am unable to edit anything associated with any user other than myself in the AdminCP/Users area.

Even if I make no changes at all, simply clicking on 'Save User' creates error message "The following errors were encountered: The username you entered already exists. Please enter a different username."

I am not sure when this issue first appeared - but last time I tried to edit a user, I had no problem - though this might have been a couple of versions ago.

I have tried verifying files and check templates  (no problems found), rebuilding all database caches, clearing browser cache, resetting all counters, optimizing database, and upgrading from version 1.9.19 to 1.9.20 then running upgrade script per installation instructions, then doing all the former things again - none of these made any difference. 

I have a user standing by who has lost password and who no longer has their old registered email address, so can't do a password reset - would like to edit their profile directly to solve rather than deleting their account and telling them to start again.

Did you check your Admin Permissions as shown in the screenshot below?

[Image: 96f2fbcc19bb56aae69f5622bd324bf4.png]
(2019-04-15, 09:48 AM)ArchPrime Wrote: [ -> ]For some reason, even though I am an administrator, I am unable to edit anything associated with any user other than myself in the AdminCP/Users area.

OK - appears to be browser specific - Chrome has the issue, but MS Edge does not.  No amount of cache and cookie clearing seems to help Chrome.

(2019-04-15, 09:56 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks Serpius - that was well worth checking as I had toggled all those things off in my experiments to try and solve the problem, without toggling them back on.   However, even while on, I was getting the problem.  Bizarrely it seems to be a Chrome specific issue - and persists even now, after toggling all administrator permissions off then on again, clearing cache yet again etc.  Under Edge Browser, all working fine.
(2019-04-15, 09:56 AM)ArchPrime Wrote: [ -> ]

OK - appears to be browser specific - Chrome has the issue, but MS Edge does not.  No amount of cache and cookie clearing seems to help Chrome.

(2019-04-15, 09:56 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks Serpius - that was well worth checking as I had toggled all those things off in my experiments to try and solve the problem, without toggling them back on.   However, even while on, I was getting the problem.  Bizarrely it seems to be a Chrome specific issue - and persists even now, after toggling all administrator permissions off then on again, clearing cache yet again etc.  Under Edge Browser, all working fine.
Oops, I spoke too soon

Even in Edge browser the issue occurs, though some 'Edit User' pages are worse than others.

Even if clear browser cache, switch the Cloudflare manager plugin to 'developer mode', and hit Ctrl-F5 in every page, some pages always generate the error.
If I don't hit Ctrl-F5, every page populates every field with my own  user data, even though I have no 3rd party password manager explicitly operating under Edge Browser (though it is obviously pretty fundamental and important that password managers should coexist with administrator editing of other user's profiles)

Can someone please advise how to cut through all of this?  User administration is genuinely impossible from ACP as things stand.
This is an old post I know, but I'm having the same exact issue I go and make changes to the user and cannot save because I have the same exact issue:

The following errors were encountered:
The username you entered already exists. Please enter a different username.

I have to use Firefox to be able to change the user this is really messed up.