MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Automated backup pruning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'd like to see a plugin that adds a simple (configurable) task to remove old database backups after x days/months. 
There is a task to automatically _create_ them, but if one doesn't remove them one by one manually, they'll tend to pile up.
(2019-04-20, 02:22 PM)linguist Wrote: [ -> ]I'd like to see a plugin that adds a simple (configurable) task to remove old database backups after x days/months. 
There is a task to automatically _create_ them, but if one doesn't remove them one by one manually, they'll tend to pile up.

I 2nd this idea!!

I have to manually delete all of the old ones, which can take some time if the DB is rather large.
...especially since there is no way to delete more than one at once, like with checkboxes to select them or so.
you don't have to delete it in the ACP

you can use any file manager, ftp client, shell, ...
The trouble with having an automated tool : which will be the criterias to delete backups ? their age ?
What happens if suddendly the backup process fails and you lose all your last ones ?
(2019-04-22, 02:08 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]The trouble with having an automated tool : which will be the criterias to delete backups ? their age ?

Yes. That's what I suggested in the opening post.
Another possible criterion would be "keep only the latest # updates"; that would keep the number of saved updates constant, as every time a new one gets saved, the oldest one is scheduled for removal

I run a task and get a backup every 72 hours, that's 10 to 12 updates per month. It'd be nice if backups older than, say, 3 months would just be removed.

(2019-04-22, 01:45 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]you don't have to delete it in the ACP

you can use any file manager, ftp client, shell, ...

Ya, but that, too, is not automated.
(2019-04-22, 09:39 PM)linguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-22, 02:08 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]The trouble with having an automated tool : which will be the criterias to delete backups ? their age ?

Yes. That's what I suggested in the opening post.
Another possible criterion would be "keep only the latest # updates"; that would keep the number of saved updates constant, as every time a new one gets saved, the oldest one is scheduled for removal

I run a task and get a backup every 72 hours, that's 10 to 12 updates per month. It'd be nice if backups older than, say, 3 months would just be removed.
If backup fails, you may have a file. An empty one.
So, keeping the X previous files is not a good way, because they can all be corrupted.

I like automation, but when it's about deleting backup, I avoid it. Only humans must delete backups.
In the past I've had clients who've requested such a feature. I created a cron job for them which deleted files older than 14 days in the admin/backups/ directory. Perhaps this might be a suitable alternative?
Even if I discourage its use, I did ABP Clean backups

It installs a task to delete old backups.
Its only setting is the minimal age of the files (in day). Default is 30, minimum is 7. Notice that I didn't put any verification about this setting in the task, any change done by other way than ACP is under your responsability.
Thanks. ♥
After uploading, there's an error message. The language file should go to inc/languages/english/admin/... not inc/languages//admin/
Pages: 1 2