MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Where is this language file? And any solution to this false banning issue?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to reword this language file. Does anyone know what section it is under? My users are receiving it accidentally and it is scaring them.

Quote:I'm sorry, but you are banned. You may not post, read threads, or access the forum. Please contact your forum administrator should you have any questions.

Also if anyone knows the cause of this error let me know. My users were receiving it a lot when I was with GoDaddy now with my new host my users occasionally receive it. I get 2 reports a month of users receiving it, my userbase isn't very active in reporting issues so I'm assuming many others are receiving it other than the 2.
This language string is located in global language file (global.lang.php), precisely line 428
This error message gets triggered only in case of an IP ban.
(2019-04-26, 01:49 AM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]This language string is located in global language file (global.lang.php), precisely line 428

Thank you that points me in the right direction. Do you think CloudFlare is triggering it or can this message only be triggered by the MyBB IP ban list?

The thing is users only receive it for a short period before it goes away for a week then they receive it again. Their IP is not listed in AdminCP ban section.
(2019-04-26, 02:16 AM)Sharree Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-26, 01:49 AM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]This language string is located in global language file (global.lang.php), precisely line 428

Thank you that points me in the right direction. Do you think CloudFlare is triggering it or can this message only be triggered by the MyBB IP ban list?

The thing is users only receive it for a short period before it goes away for a week then they receive it again. Their IP is not listed in AdminCP ban section.

This error message can be triggered on cloudflare, can you check if you have enabled/disabled the Scrutinize User's IP address?
 Home » Board Settings » Server and Optimization Option > Scrutinize User's IP address? 
If MyBB's internal function is_banned_ip() returns true (which checks only MyBB database for banned IP / IP range) then only this particular phrase of error appears.
I'm sorry but how CF is responsible for this?

Having the message random is possible if your suffered user is having dynamic IP and occasionally falls under any banned range set in ACP.
(2019-04-26, 01:21 AM)Sharree Wrote: [ -> ]I want to reword this language file. Does anyone know what section it is under? My users are receiving it accidentally and it is scaring them.

Quote:I'm sorry, but you are banned. You may not post, read threads, or access the forum. Please contact your forum administrator should you have any questions.

Also if anyone knows the cause of this error let me know. My users were receiving it a lot when I was with GoDaddy now with my new host my users occasionally receive it. I get 2 reports a month of users receiving it, my userbase isn't very active in reporting issues so I'm assuming many others are receiving it other than the 2.

Cloudflare would have nothing to do with any banning because this would be occurring BEFORE the user even gets to the website. Therefore, none of the MyBB logs would show anything going on with Cloudflare.

The issue is directly related to the way your IP banning is being done. 

I used to have banning done by a country's range of IP addresses, as shown in the screenshot, but I found that to be useless due to VPNs. 

[Image: 1a991a0594d0e29476ec0ff7957c0440.png]

So, what I do now is do IP bans on a case-by-case basis because a range of IP addresses may end up banning a legit user and that user will see that 'Ban Warning' window and he/she will not be able to appeal their case to the admins. 

If you are only seeing this 2-3 times a month, manual intervention is the best way to handle this. 

I am not certain if re-wording that 'Ban Warning' will work because if you change the wording to something less intrusive and DO NOT offer the user a way to appeal their ban, then the revised 'Ban Warning' will be useless. 

Does your website have more than one admin?
If so, you might want to look into the actions of those admins to make certain that they are not manually banning legit users.
The thing is I don't have any IP ranged banned. They are individual addresses. I checked the users stating they're receiving banned messages with the IP Ban List. They are not an exact match however they do match except for the final 3-4 digits. I'm wondering if there's another source to the problem but as effone stated this message only appears by checking MyBB database for banned IP / IP range.

(2019-04-26, 02:47 AM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]This error message can be triggered on cloudflare, can you check if you have enabled/disabled the Scrutinize User's IP address?
 Home » Board Settings » Server and Optimization Option > Scrutinize User's IP address? 
Yes. I had the Scrutinize User's IP address setting set to "Yes", I turned it back to the default "No" to see if that would do anything but it appears the ban message was affecting a wider group of users when I did that.
(2019-04-26, 07:05 PM)Sharree Wrote: [ -> ]The thing is I don't have any IP ranged banned. They are individual addresses. I checked the users stating they're receiving banned messages with the IP Ban List. They are not an exact match however they do match except for the final 3-4 digits. I'm wondering if there's another source to the problem but as effone stated this message only appears by checking MyBB database for banned IP / IP range.

(2019-04-26, 02:47 AM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]This error message can be triggered on cloudflare, can you check if you have enabled/disabled the Scrutinize User's IP address?
Yes. I had the Scrutinize User's IP address setting set to "Yes", I turned it back to the default "No" to see if that would do anything but it appears the ban message was affecting a wider group of users when I did that.

Well, then, it might be one of those cases where the user's internet provider is providing dynamic IPs on a random basis. 

Or in some cases, the user(s) may have an internet plan where their IPs are changed dynamically, I know this is being offered by my provider, but it's a much higher monthly fee. 

I don't know how commonplace this is, but this may be one possibility.