MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Plugin required
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi can someone please make me a plugin so that when a guest is in the process of registering and i need to have a text box with a link that they need to follow to a forum on my site, and to have a permission that only they can have whilst registering so that they are able to see that forum, it has to be that Guests and Members cant see the forum whilst trolling through my site, i just want it set up so that only admins and registering users can see this forum, can there be such a thing done?

Thank you.
Regards
Paul
(2019-04-27, 08:24 AM)psneep Wrote: [ -> ]Hi can someone please make me a plugin so that when a guest is in the process of registering and i need to have a text box with a link that they need to follow to a forum on my site, and to have a permission that only they can have whilst registering so that they are able to see that forum, it has to be that Guests and Members cant see the forum whilst trolling through my site,  i just want it set up so that only admins and registering users can see this forum, can there be such a thing done?

Thank you.
Regards
Paul

No need for a plugin.

Use MyBB's Promotion system. 

Check the screenshot...

[Image: c4007a28657678338d3128f377c4adbe.png]
Hi Serpius and thank for your input, but i will explain the group promotion doesn't work for pre registering, so i may need a plugin made.

here is the reason below:

Promotion Requirements *
Select which criteria must be met for this promotion. Holding down CTRL selects multiple criteria.

Post count - no good
Thread Count - No good
Reputation - no good
Referalls - no good
Warning Points - no good
Time Registered - no good this can't work because their not registered yet.
Time Online - no good this can't work because no minutes to select, only hours

Select which user group or user groups that the user must be in for the promotion to run.

This is no good because they don't have a user group and if i select Awaiting Activation they are not in that group.
There is no pre register group, so i can't select them.

So how can i make this work?
It will not work with the promotion system.

Perhaps you can explain the larger picture of what you hope to accomplish. Are you trying to send people that are registering to the forum to view a certain thread or post? Why don't you want it to be visible to everyone? Why can't it just be visible for guests (which is what people who haven't registered are)?
(2019-04-27, 08:24 AM)psneep Wrote: [ -> ]...it has to be that Guests and Members cant see the forum whilst trolling through my site,  i just want it set up so that only admins and registering users can see this forum, can there be such a thing done?
This particular thing can be done by using the permissions setting on the forum.
[attachment=41733]
Simply assign the permissions you want to "Administrators" and "Awaiting Activation", whilst revoking permissions for everyone else (Guests and Members, as you said).

Depending on preference, you might wanna go to Settings -> Forum Home Options -> Hide Private Forums? and set that to "Yes". This will make it so the forums are completely hidden to those who cannot view them. Otherwise, they'll still show up even though they cannot be visited.
(2019-04-27, 03:28 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]It will not work with the promotion system.

Perhaps you can explain the larger picture of what you hope to accomplish. Are you trying to send people that are registering to the forum to view a certain thread or post? Why don't you want it to be visible to everyone? Why can't it just be visible for guests (which is what people who haven't registered are)?

Hi Wildcard.

OK what i want to achieve is that if a spammer comes to fast registers on my site and finds he needs to go to a link to get an answer for a question he will then not bother joining, so in this case i need to have it so when they come to my site they can not see the answer as a Guest, and that only the person doing the registration will see the answer when they click the link.

(2019-04-27, 08:30 PM)Settyness Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-27, 08:24 AM)psneep Wrote: [ -> ]...it has to be that Guests and Members cant see the forum whilst trolling through my site,  i just want it set up so that only admins and registering users can see this forum, can there be such a thing done?
This particular thing can be done by using the permissions setting on the forum.

Simply assign the permissions you want to "Administrators" and "Awaiting Activation", whilst revoking permissions for everyone else (Guests and Members, as you said).

Depending on preference, you might wanna go to Settings -> Forum Home Options -> Hide Private Forums? and set that to "Yes". This will make it so the forums are completely hidden to those who cannot view them. Otherwise, they'll still show up even though they cannot be visited.

Hi Settyness.

I have already trailed the permission with Awaiting Activation, but if you go and register that permission will not work for people registering. that will only work after registration is completed and then they fall into the group Awaiting Activation, because they haven't verified their email.
(2019-04-28, 11:50 AM)psneep Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-27, 03:28 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]It will not work with the promotion system.

Hi Wildcard.

OK what i want to achieve is that if a spammer comes to fast registers on my site and finds he needs to go to a link to get an answer for a question he will then not bother joining, so in this case i need to have it so when they come to my site they can not see the answer as a Guest, and that only the person doing the registration will see the answer when they click the link.

Hi Settyness.

I have already trailed the permission with Awaiting Activation, but if you go and register that permission will not work for people registering. that will only work after registration is completed and then they fall into the group Awaiting Activation, because they haven't verified their email.

That's the reason why I suggested Group Promotion. 

Make an identical group to Awaiting Activation but give them the necessary permissions to view whatever forums is required.
(2019-04-28, 09:15 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]Make an identical group to Awaiting Activation but give them the necessary permissions to view whatever forums is required.

Serpius, the confusion is that a user who has not yet registered is a guest. So, effectively, they do not have a user group or a place in the promotions system at all. All they have is an IP address.

@OP if you want something like that, you are going to have to either: a) let them register (become awaiting activation) but require further steps (read: custom plugin) before they are sent the verification email. or b) generate a temporary link that allows the user to see a message (read: advanced custom plugin)

Hi Wildcard.

Hi Settyness.

Make an identical group to Awaiting Activation but give them the necessary permissions to view whatever forums is required.
(2019-04-28, 09:31 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]

Hi Wildcard.

Hi Settyness.

Awaiting Activation doesn't work whilst a person is in the process of registering, it only works after registration is completed not halfway during the registration process, i have tested it.