MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: UTF-8 Conversion in ACP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i have noticed that in the Admin control panel ->Tools and Maintenance there are 2 highlighted messages

It is recommend not to use different encodings in your database. This may cause unexpected behavior or MySQL errors.

For full 4-Byte UTF-8 support you need to change $config['database']['encoding'] = 'utf8'; to $config['database']['encoding'] = 'utf8mb4'; in your inc/config.php.

Can anyone here tell me what actually to do and also is there a speed/performance difference between "utf8" or "utf8mb4"?

Thanks!
There is no speed gain or performance, it's just to keep the same encoding everywhere, and avoid strange characters in your forum.

Have a look to your database (using phpmyadmin) and check that all encodings are the same for all tables
(2019-04-30, 10:42 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]There is no speed gain or performance, it's just to keep the same encoding everywhere, and avoid strange characters in your forum.

Have a look to your database (using phpmyadmin) and check that all encodings are the same for all tables

Thanks for the reply and answer that I was looking for.