MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The message is too long
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2019-05-01, 03:51 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]^ increasing the field value at forum admin panel might not be sufficient.
maximum length of a database field basically depends on the type of the field

So, some admins (including myself) may not fully understand this option due to the way it's worded. 

As such, I noticed this statement "Set 0 to allow maximum length permitted as per your database."

Ok, there's one problem... most admins DO NOT even know what the maximum their database allows and most don't even know the 'type of field'. 

Those admins would have to contact their hosting company to get that info, then make adjustments if needed based on their allowable database maximum length and the type of field.

Just saying...
(2019-05-01, 06:04 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, there's one problem... most admins DO NOT even know what the maximum their database allows and most don't even know the 'type of field'. 

Again, the description says it all.

It was even unclear in earlier versions. I have modified the narration to make the description understandable in a recent version of MyBB. It clearly states whats the default field type and what are the expansion limits of other applicable field types and to achieve extended capacity what you have to do.

The limitation belongs to MySQL, not MyBB. I have no idea how this can be communicated better.
(2019-05-01, 06:45 PM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]The limitation belongs to MySQL, not MyBB. I have no idea how this can be communicated better.
RTFM, noob ! could be a funny alternative Smile

Sorry, it's late here, I'm going to sleep Smile
Pages: 1 2