MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: users suddenly locked out of ONE forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings, My BBs!

I run a trainings on a password protected forum. My current class runs in ten forums/subforums. It's been running since Feb, people posting every day. 

Today, for no reason I can see, no one can post in two of the fora. Just two (I thought was one until I checked them all). I  logged in as a user, and got the same result. As an admin, I can open, post, etc. As a user, nope. 

Eight of ten forums open and work just fine. Two don't open at all. They worked earlier today. I didn't change anything on the backend. "Sorry, but you do not have permission to view threads in this forum."

What might I have done? Could a user possibly have done something to cause this? I have never seen it happen before. 

Thank you very much!
Alia

PS if it helps

MyBB Version 1.8.20
PHP Version 7.1.28
Posts 4 New Today
SQL Engine MySQLi 5.6.31
Server Load 6.8789
(2019-05-03, 03:12 AM)Alia Wrote: [ -> ]Greetings, My BBs!

I run a trainings on a password protected forum. My current class runs in ten forums/subforums. It's been running since Feb, people posting every day. 

Today, for no reason I can see, no one can post in two of the fora. Just two. I  logged in as a user, and got the same result. As an admin, I can open, post, etc. As a user, nope. 

Eight of ten forums open and work just fine. Two don't open at all. They worked earlier today. I didn't change anything on the backend. "Sorry, but you do not have permission to view threads in this forum."

What might I have done? Could a user possibly have done something to cause this? I have never seen it happen before. 

Thank you very much!
Alia

PS if it helps

MyBB Version 1.8.20
PHP Version 7.1.28
Posts 4 New Today
SQL Engine MySQLi 5.6.31
Server Load 6.8789

First, review the Administrator logs and see if you can find out what happened.

Does your forum have more than one administrator? If so, then, you can see who has made any changes that may have caused this.

Review the screenshot for this.

[Image: 2713e020ea2e903807e9f75a48304155.png]

Review the permissions as shown in the second screenshot for the 2 forums in question.

Go to your AdminCP and select the forum that is in issue and open the Permissions tab.

Make any adjustments as needed.

[Image: 0bf6f2e81f13d0f4305757fb1bb954db.png]
Thank you, Serpius!

I am the only admin. I checked the admin logs--nada. I deleted a user group that day, one that none of these folks were in. Nothing in the error log either. 

The permissions for all those fora are the same--checked. Only specific groups can access each forum, as they are essentially classrooms. 

BUT I remembered some oddness when I made this particular group's forum; I had to go back through and reset the permissions for each subforum individually--even though they were the same, folks were unable to access them. 

The two that are misbehaving are new (even though they behaved until yesterday), so I tried resetting the permissions as I had before. That didn't work. 

What DID work, was Set Custom Permissions. It took a while because when I clicked it, it seemed like nothing happened, and I had to decrease the page size until it showed in tiny letters at the very bottom of the page. I set the permissions down there in the tickboxes, clicked Save, and boom, forum back up. 

PHEW!!!

Thank you for your help. I still don't know WHY but at least it works now.