MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Default Theme Name Change Poll
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/3673

Please cast your vote here and then we will go ahead and make the change Toungue
Just for info: why the name change is required
(2019-05-30, 06:34 PM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]Just for info: why the name change is required

Because often many new admins do not know what 'default' actually means.

I have seen a number of postings from new admins that were asking for a "stock" theme, when there were actually talking about or requesting the 'default MyBB theme'. 

There are a number of ways to say this... Default = Stock = Standard = Base = Original

Take your pick, but for the purpose of the MyBB theme, I feel, it's wise to call it 'stock' theme because new admins will most likely understand that better than 'default' theme.

Just saying...
I voted for 'Base' due to the nature of how MyBB themes actually work and how all other themes normally cascade down to the default master style. Makes a little more sense IMO than 'Stock'.
Base sounds better IMO.
Default theme makes more sense for me. Xenforo, IPB, phpBB, Woltlab, Flarum all call it a default theme.
(2019-05-31, 12:10 AM)iAndrew Wrote: [ -> ]Default theme makes more sense for me. Xenforo, IPB, phpBB, Woltlab, Flarum all call it a default theme.

That is not a good reason to keep it as is. We are not following any similar software for any reason, are we?

The change is required because we can set any theme as "Default". So, again : "Default" by name and "default" in nature creates confusion when you just say "Default theme" and nothing more.
The theme should be called: Run away, please don't use me; replace me as soon as possible.  Big Grin

All jokes aside, I think you should leave the theme name as it is. It's the default theme for MyBB Forums. Any other theme would be considered as a custom theme because it's no longer the default theme.
(2019-05-31, 10:31 AM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-05-31, 12:10 AM)iAndrew Wrote: [ -> ]Default theme makes more sense for me. Xenforo, IPB, phpBB, Woltlab, Flarum all call it a default theme.

That is not a good reason to keep it as is. We are not following any similar software for any reason, are we?

The change is required because we can set any theme as "Default". So, again : "Default" by name and "default" in nature creates confusion when you just say "Default theme" and nothing more.

Will the default avatar also be renamed stock or base because we can set any avatar as default?

No one in the support threads gets confused on what the default theme means when you ask them if they are having issues with the default theme. I bet if you were to go through support threads you would find 100% of people using the term "default theme".
"Default Theme" phrase can be confusing at user control panel options

[Image: LVtN9W7.jpg]

in my experience, some admins do not know what exactly is a Default Theme!
Pages: 1 2