MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can i convert from VBB to MyBB? How to choose an appropriate Managed hosting provide
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I have an old forum running VBB, can I convert to MyBB?  Huh

How to choose an appropriate Managed hosting provider

Do you feel embarrassed about managing your own hosting? Are you overloaded with managing dedicated servers? If the answer is yes, you may want to consider a managed hosting provider.

In a managed hosting environment, the Web hosting provider owns and is responsible for data centers, networks, devices, organizational systems, and infrastructure components, and maintains complete control. Business process set.

Whether you are looking for your first managed hosting provider or switching from an existing provider, choosing can be a daunting task. Each company/organization has its own requirements and the right supplier for one person is not necessarily good for the other.

Once you have chosen a provider, it can be very difficult to change. Even if there are no strings attached to the provider, transferring data back and forth is enough to make you feel afraid to change. This is why it is very important to make a choice especially if there are long-term development plans for the website. If you are still wondering about this, you can consult the people who have experience using it.

I myself am not an expert in this field, but as a person who has used through many types of hosting as well as helping many customers manage their website, I would like to write this article to share. with some knowledge about managed hosting that I have learned.

Scope of managed hosting services

To get started, you should be explicit about which services you need and whether a managed hosting provider can support them. Some providers may offer a range of service packages organized by partial hosting to fully managed hosting. It just depends on your support needs and how much you are willing to pay.

Here are some standard services to consider:
  • Windows or Linux operating system
  • Apply security patches and updates
  • Platform management: hardware, networks, operating systems, storage, databases, domain name systems, firewalls, etc.
  • Clusters, redundancy and load balancing tools
These are additional services you may need:
  • Backup
  • Support applications
  • Website security
  • Convert from an existing page (if possible).
The level of service

Response time and resolution issues are critical to any hosting service. You will want to read a hosting review on the potential pros and cons of hosting to determine if their level of service is good enough for your needs. 

This is the part that you will get for what you pay. Smaller and less expensive providers may not have the resources to provide 24/7 professional support.

Here are a few questions:
  • Do they support services via phone, email, chat, etc.?
  • Do they provide 24/7 support?
  • What is the average response time during the day, at night and on weekends?
  • How much time does it usually take to resolve issues? Are there many experienced experts during the break to solve difficult issues quickly?
  • You may or may not call the provider support team at midnight to see and how much time it will take for them to respond.

Scalability and an increase in visits

The ability of a website to handle increases in performance depends not only on the managed hosting provider but also on how well your website is programmed.

Obviously, you should provide metrics for managed hosting providers that include the average amount of traffic and the most traffic you usually get. Ask them if they can respond to the maximum level of access you have ever had and if an increase in the amount of ABC will be tolerable and if you exceed the limit then what. 

This information will be very helpful for you because knowing the load capacity of your server will help you a lot in website development planning. Especially if, for example, your WordPress has a Livestream function, knowing these restrictions will benefit both you and your viewers because no one wants too many viewers to affect the stream quality.

Supported applications and programming languages

Make sure the provider can support the applications and languages you plan to use. This may include:
  • WordPress, Drupal, Joomla
  • Windows Server, Linux
  • PHP, .NET, Python, Ruby
This is important not only to ensure that they can accommodate the applications and languages you use but also the special versions you are using. Ask them if their other customers are using such versions.

The server control

If your developer needs full control of the server, make sure that the managed host provider allows it. For example, some developers need Secure Sell Support (SSH) access to personalize their environment. Those are all details that you need to specify in advance to avoid unwanted things later in the process.

Finally, the provider and package you choose will represent the level of service you want and the amount you are willing to pay. If you're just starting out, choose shared hosting and if you want a good quality server, think of a dedicated hosting solution for you.

Make sure you understand exactly how much each of these packages will cost. Which cost level is part of the standard package and which part do you choose to add? 

How much bandwidth will be included in it? How much hard drive space? How many domain names can be hosted on that hosting without any extra charge?

Most hosting problems can be avoided by conducting extensive reviews before selecting a provider. If you have a clear understanding of your requirements, then you should have no problem finding a good managed host provider that can meet your needs. 

There are many types of hosting with discount codes up to 90% at This link. Please select the provider that you will use offline. Remember to use the discount code to save your money.

Good luck!
(2019-06-12, 03:11 AM)agribank Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, i have old forum running VBB, can i convert to MyBB ?  Huh
I recently converted vB 3.8 -> MyBB 1.18. There's a few pitfalls along the way, but they can be fixed rather easily if you know a little MySQL.

1. If your vBulletin database contains a column for "AIM" (AOL Instant Messenger), you will have to manually add the column to mybb_users.
2. Date of birth is stored differently on vBulletin, but the merge script will transfer as-is anyways. I wrote a small PHP script to explode the birthday column in mybb_users and switched around the day and month to match the new schema.
3. IP addresses are stored as-is in vBulletin, but as hex in MyBB. I made a small PHP script to convert them all in one go.

It won't transfer everything, for example, I had to do reputation by hand by making a script that did its best to make it all fit. The most important stuff transfers over no problem though. Good luck and save often.